Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all. I recently acquired a beautiful old Police Positive in 99.9% condition. It is in .32 Police cal with a serial # of 3647XX and a 4" bbl.The problem is; it came with a set of awful looking after market grips. I really doubt that I am going to locate a set of originals but I have to get these target grips off.
I have been looking at catalogs of repro grips but I cannot decide which ones to order, they refer to type "C" grips ? The old girl deserves to at least look like she is ready to go out. Can some one of you very knowledgeable Colt guys help? Thanks much.
Jack Duggan

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are talking about Numrich, then the C-type are repros of the originals.
From my personal experience, they are a crap shoot. The ones they sent me were marred with scrap marks and they came without escutcheons or grip screw. I'm sending them back.

Best bet is to keep an eye out at the auction sites. In the meantime, this guy has some polymer grips that will probably work
http://stores.ebay.com/TOMBSTONE-GUN-GRI...2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
your gun was made in 1934 if i`m looking correctly.it would have been shipped with checkered wood stocks, the hard rubber type c stocks were dropped some time around 1926. d-frame colt stocks are confusing to say the least.best bet would be to take a tracing of the frame to a gun show and look around.i have a worn pr. you can have for postage, you might sand them smooth and get by till you find a nice pr.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry
I did not check the SN and assumed that you really did mean the early PPs (ca. WWI).
By the SN, it would seem you have a Police Positive Special made in the 1930s (ca. WWII).

Icdux has the scoop, as he is much more knowledgable and astute than I. The walnut grips you will be looking for are somewhat easier to find than the c-type hard rubber ones for the really early PP.

I am sorry if my previous post led astray. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much to Teakwood and icdux for the great info, you guys are great. (icdux...message sent).
Jack Duggan

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hey Jack;

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a soft spot for old Police Positives. Only recently have they seemed to get any respect in the market. I only have a single example, a Police Positive Special made in 1914. I'm finding myself lingering over any Police Positive and imagining a sub-collection of them in my arsenal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bryan:
I hear what you're saying about the old PPs. I really bought the two that I own by accident (they were in a group of Smiths that I bought and now I have the both of them on my desk ( a .38 spec. and a .32 Police) I'm not quite ready to put them in the safe. They are really so finely made when you compare them to today's combat tupperware.As soon as I get the proper grips for the .32 I will post some pics.
Jack Duggan

·
Registered
47 Posts
I see stocks for various PP years all the time at gun shows. Solid originals with the screw, crisp checkering, and no cracks or chips go for about $75, and they're very easy to tell from the copies. They won't fit exactly because the originals would have been fit to the frame before finishing. This will be the case not only on the straps, but also in the curved region that fits into the frame. This latter will sometimes make the screw difficult to align. Originals will also have the original gun's serial number scratched inside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dorsey:
Thanks for the input. My next move is to make a tracing of the grip frame on the .32 and see what I can find at the next gun show up in Orange County, N.Y. Icdux(of this forum)tells me I should be looking for a pair of checkered walnut grips, maybe I'll be lucky next month.
Jack Duggan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts