Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1)When was the first year that Colt started producing the 4-inch barrel length, on the Python?

2)When was the last year for Colt to have offered the original(Fully checkered, first style of?)target grips on the Python?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I have just discovered that the first year for the 4-inch barrel on the Colt Python was 1961!

However, I need to know when Colt last installed the first design(Fully checkered)target grips on the Python's? Anyone know?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I'm sure there are "Python people" here who know right off the top of their head, but according to BOCFA, "In 1963 the grips underwent a design change in which the checkering was eliminated on each side at the top, being replaced by grooved thumb rests". HTH /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a '62 4" that I believe to have the original grips and it has the second design style gribs. I don't know if this helps, but

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, Just looked in the 1962 Shooter's bible. Page 226 shows the Python selling for $125 and it has grips that appear fully checkered. On page 227 they show the New Police Python and that one wears different grips, checkering stops at bottom of medallion and grips are relieved above that look like more modern grips. This probably just adds more confusion. - Shoodaddy

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based upon what everyone has said, I'm wondering if the newly introduced, 4-inch(Police Python)could have been built initially(In 1961)with either the fully checkered(First design)or the second design grips(Without checkering at the top)instead of Colt just changing over to the second design grips(100%)on this Police Model Python?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, everyone claims that Colt used what they had till it was gone, so exceptions seem to be the rule. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
I have a 4-inch Python (128XX) shipped December 15, 1960. It has the second style stocks as I recall. From my observation, the full-checkered stocks generally ended in the late 1950s, probably with some transition. The 4-inch Python first appears in the 1960 catalog as the Police Python. (I say that from memory, so I may be wrong, but, I have discussed and verified this issue before so I think my memory is correct.)

NEVER rely on the Shooter's Bible for accuracy. First of all, it is always a year behind because it comes out in the summer with the next year's date on it. Second, old pictures are sometimes used for want of new ones. Third, it has lots of errors, sometimes transposing pictures, etc..

Even TBOCF has some errors, and I think the date for change from full-checkered stocks may be one. However, details like that are usually not definite in cutoff anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts