Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
You are correct about that one, but actually some late Pythons did come with silver meds. They started in the mid 90's and all the Elites had Silver.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong on this but does the test target not say 10-28-65? (just wondering how it can be a 66 if it was made in 65?) Is that box correct for a 65/66? All of the '66 ive seen had the red box liner. Nice gun though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I found this paragraph...... from this web site. The Colt Python

COLT GRIP MEDALLIONS
Up until 1955, all Colt's had Silver medallions in the walnut grips. Since the Python was to be a special gun, it was decided to give it Gold Colt medallions to separate it from "ordinary" Colt's.
From 1955 to around the later 1970's the Python was fitted with Gold medallions and all other Colt's with Silver. With Colt it's impossible to say "never", and it's possible a few Pythons mistakenly left the factory with Silver medallions, but the Python-only Gold medallions was a standard Colt usually followed closely. Starting sometime in the later 1970's Gold medallions started appearing on other Colt pistols, and by the mid-1980's all Colt's had Gold Medallions.
Then in the mid-1990's Silver started being occasionally seen on some Pythons, usually stainless steel models with rubber grips

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
My 1957 6" Python low 4 digit serial # with original grips does have a silver medallion.
How do know the stocks are original? Are you the original owner? If not, it is likely that your Python had its stocks replaced sometime in the last six decades. Every set of gold medallion full-checkered stocks ever for sale represents a Python that no longer has its original stocks (except for those that have been "created" by installing gold medallions in place of silver medallions). Almost every set of gold medallion full-checkered stocks ever sold represents a Python getting an original-looking set of stocks to replace incorrect stocks.

The possibility that one or a few early Pythons mistakenly left Colt with silver medallions is the cover that many with an early Python with silver medallions use to claim the silver medallions are original to that person's Python.

Of course, a negative cannot be proved, but I am skeptical. Can you imagine buying the most deluxe Colt ever in the early years, with GOLD medallions being touted as part of that most deluxe Colt, and receiving a Python with SLIVER medallions? A call to Colt would have been made immediately demanding a set of replacement stocks with the GOLD medallions to give the gun one of its most noticeable special features. I am sure that, if the supply of gold medallion stocks was temporally exhausted, shipment of Pythons would have been held until the proper gold medallions stocks were available. Production was so low on Pythons for the first decade or so that there would have been no pressure to get them out the door without one of their most notable special features.

I am extremely skeptical that your Python originally had silver medallions in its stocks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My 1957 6" Python low 4 digit serial # with original grips does have a silver medallion.
Please post some pictures. External and internal views would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cell phone pictures do not do it justice. Will try with the digital camera. I have never taken the grips off, and the screw slot looks virgin. No marks what so ever.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Unless you've owned it since 1957 there's about a 99.9% chance those aren't the originals if they are in fact silver. Colt never never never used silver medallions except on the Python Elites and those had completely different stocks. There is a chance they got so faded over time that they appear silver but are really just very pale gold. I've seen many known examples that are actually gold but look silver. It can take a very trained eye to see the difference.

Reactions: spacecoast1

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1612-2.jpg IMG_1611-2.jpg Sorry this took so long,but work and the grandkids keep me very busy. On the left hand side grip, at the 2-3 o'clock level you might be able to see some patina. Sure looks silver to me.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I bought a pair of stocks pretty cheap ($100) thinking the medallions were silver, but then I put them next to the true silver medallions on my 1967 OMM and it's obvious that they were just (faded) gold Python stocks. That could be the same for this gun.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Those medallions definitely look silver. They also look quite newer than they should be. Possibly someone did the old medallion swap out. Or they are from another E/I frame non-Python model. That would most likely be correct.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 3-digit , 4in Colt .357 with original fully checkered grips with silver medallions. My 1960 Python has gold medallions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry to say but those are very poor quality pictures in terms of being able to see color and detail. That being said it could really go either way. Very faded gold or silver. Pictures in this case do not help much.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
If I am not mistaken, first issued full checkered grips had a medallion with a horse standing on a very small globe, the medallion was redone in the second issue with the horse stand on a much larger piece of the globe.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
If I am not mistaken, first issued full checkered grips had a medallion with a horse standing on a very small globe, the medallion was redone in the second issue with the horse stand on a much larger piece of the globe. The medallions shown on whiskeysour2's grips are the larger second issued medallions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Every set of fully checkered stocks on Ebay is said to be from an early Python and all have silver medallions. But these grips probably came on Officer's Model Match , .357's , Troopers , etc.

The price of early Colt grips is staggering. My Python wears a walnut Hogue Monogrip because the original (safely put away) is so darn uncomfortable to hold , let alone shoot with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts