Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several serial numbered slides from Service Model Ace conversion units in need of repair.
I am in need of information on how to change (remove/replace) the rear sight on early 22 conversion unit slides. Specifically I need to remove Improved Stevens rear sight from early post war unit and install on pre WWII war slides.
If written instructions or manual available to purchase.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Wow! Serial-numbered Conversion Units are relatively rare. (Only a couple of thousand were made.) How did you end up with "several" bare (I assume) slides? What serial numbers do you have? Do you want to sell any of the slides? Do you have any boxes?

Why do you need to change out the Stevens rear sight? Is there something wrong with it? If so, what? The Stevens is a simple sight that is not susceptible to damage.

The Stevens rear sight style changed from the early Conversion Units to the later Conversion Units. In the early Units, the windage adjusting screw is set lower so as to be mostly in the slide, while in the later Units, the windage screw is set higher so as to be mostly in the sight body.

Therefore, depending on the relative ages of the two candidates for the swap, it may or may not work. The windage screw position has to be the same for the swap to work.

It is VERY simple to remove the Stevens rear sight. Just loosen the small set screw on the top left of the sight body, and then turn the windage screw so that the sight body moves away from the windage screw head. Keep turning until the sight comes off the windage screw threads. Reverse the procedure to reinstall the sight. Check the new sight in the dovetail before trying to install it to be sure it can move in the dovetail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I have U 1131 (refinished), U 1483 orig finish but blotchy and spotted, U 1597 orig finish with small dings and scratches. All came missing various pieces.All should be late enough to have had the improved Stevens. 1597 was "complete" but may have had a Coltmaster in it (so how to remove that too).I'll have to look this week. One had a Micro etc. 1597 also had incorrect firing pin. Who knows what the correct parts are, I just wanted the numbered slide. In finding all these I also purchased even more rare what some refer to as pre-post war un-numbered slide. Made with the same parts as the post war numbered units, just not numbered. It is the best condition and has the improved Stevens, same as the late pre war. also the early post war ,some, had the early box listing 8 components rather than 7.All of this with, "I think". I am not an expert or collector. Just prefer older stuff.
I have not looked in a bit so will take an inventory and play with the rear sight some. After I get them sorted and mostly functional units will decide on what to do. Can only shoot one at a time, well, two I suppose.
Thank you hugely for advice and let me know if you want more info on these.
Sincere regards,
Gary

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
I suspect your unnumbered slide is actually an early Post-War, assuming it is a true Conversion Unit slide and not a Service Model Ace slide. I have a Post-War Conversion Unit (unnumbered) with the Stevens rear sight and the milled ejector. I have a slightly later Conversion Unit, still in the small black box, but with the Coltmaster rear sight and stamped ejector.

Any Conversion Unit with a Coltmaster rear sight has to be a Post-War Unit. Check the style of the manufacturer stamp. If it is "Colt's Mfg. Co.," it has to be Post-War, since that style came into use in about 1947-1948.

What is "incorrect" about the firing pin? Later Units do not have the "locator" bump on the firing pin, if that is what is bothering you about the firing pin.

What is missing from the other Units? Magazines can be found, but barrels are really tough to find.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My notes show that U1131 has Micro sights. U1483 and U1597 both fall right in line with batches of 50 or so that went to the USMC, which would add to their value if documented.

Regards,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow!
The Stevens rear sight style changed from the early Conversion Units to the later Conversion Units. In the early Units, the windage adjusting screw is set lower so as to be mostly in the slide,

I have been in search of the early sight for years in order to make U283 complete. The milling of the early slide and the lower placement of the screw is truly unique. For the sake of clarity I call it a Stevens Type 1 and I've never seen one off a gun. I have seen them on other early 1938 Ace units, a 1937 .38 Super and NM.

This is probably the most accurate thread I've ever read as to the differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts