Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

I have an early woodsman (prewar). It's put away but I can get serial number, if it's needed.

What aftermarket magazine will work without costing an arm and a leg?

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
"Will work" is a relative term, as is "costing an arm and a leg." Some aftermarket magazines fit correctly in your pistol, some will work fairly reliably, and they do not cost as much as an original. However, I think it is false economy to buy aftermarket magazines, since the originals are so much better, are proper for your original pistol and will continue to appreciate as time goes buy. Spend the $100 or more it takes to buy an original over the $30 to $50 an aftermarket magazine will cost, and never look back. When you have a classic like a Colt Woodsman, why corrupt it with a cheap aftermarket magazine?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Egg Zactly...just bite the Bullet, whip out that C-Note, and get a right proper 'COLT' Magazine of the period, and, 'never look back'...

Or, depending on the Model, often enough, a roughly same time period 'High Standard' Magazine ( or same receiver shape Pistol ) will work just dandy too, and, will tend to cost close to the same anyway.

In fact, often enough, Sellers or others can not tell or do not know the difference anyway, so...thinking one is buying one, one might in fact be buying the other.

Of course, those Magazines of the era when COLT stamped the Bottoms, are easy enough to tell apart...but, the earlier ones, with plain bottoms, easily get mixed up with early High Standard Magazines.

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
Of course, those Magazines of the era when COLT stamped the Bottoms, are easy enough to tell apart...but, the earlier ones, with plain bottoms, easily get mixed up with early High Standard Magazines.
I am not familiar with any Model S pistols that have unmarked magazines. What model with unmarked magazines have I missed?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I am not familiar with any Model S pistols that have unmarked magazines. What model with unmarked magazines have I missed?
Maybe I am mistaken and confusing the un-marked base Magazines with those of the earlier .38 ACP Pistols.

It is quite a while now since I have shot or looked at my Colt .22 Automatic or it's Magazines. But I do recall that the Magazines of my High Standard Model B would interchange with the Colt, and, vise versa.

Some of the early Colt .22 Automatic or early Woodsman Magazines I have, which I thought were un-marked, were actually early High standard Magazines I bought thinking they were, or being told they were Colt.

I guess this proves my point - of how if one is not versed in telling them apart, one can get them mixed up!

If all the Colt .22 Automatic and laater Woodsman Magazines were marked on the Bottom, then those which are not marked at all, would likely be High Standard ( or possibly Hartford or Fialla or whatever some of those other similar looking Pistols had been back when ).

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
It is quite a while now since I have shot or looked at my Colt .22 Automatic or it's Magazines. But I do recall that the Magazines of my High Standard Model B would interchange with the Colt, and, vise versa.
True.

Some of the early Colt .22 Automatic or early Woodsman Magazines I have, which I thought were un-marked, were actually early High standard Magazines I bought thinking they were, or being told they were Colt.
Happens all the time.

If all the Colt .22 Automatic and laater Woodsman Magazines were marked on the Bottom, then those which are not marked at all, would likely be High Standard ( or possibly Hartford or Fialla or whatever some of those other similar looking Pistols had been back when ).
That has been my conclusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts