Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you kidding me...serious earth quake here in Idaho...right now.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
2.7 although, if it's close enough, it feels like a much bigger shake.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't seen it reported yet. Shook my 2 story house pretty good. Lasted long enough to made me sea sick. I was in the Seattle area for the Nisqually quake. By comparison..this was a lot bigger for us.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stay safe, It makes you wonder whats going on? Pamdamic's, Severe flooding all along the Eastern states. Ohio thru the Carolinas and now Earth Quakes where you don't normally have them.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
It seems Mother Nature is trying to thin the herd...everywhere and by any means necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Just read 6.3! That correct?
If it was 6.3 it would get your attention. How long in seconds? The time is what gets things rocking and rolling. Pete

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems Mother Nature is trying to thin the herd...everywhere and by any means necessary.
A friend of mine believes that the Earth is a sentient organism that over time has come to regard humans as an infection and is using earthquakes, droughts, hurricanes, floods, and other natural phenomena as a means of ridding itself of this infection. On the other hand she believes that wars, pestilence, famine, and such are things we humans came up with ourselves though they assist the Earth in it's goal.
It makes as much sense to me as any explanation that religious leaders have come up with.
Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
461 Posts
Idaho has 10 earthquakes per week of magnitude 1.5 or greater. That's over 500 per year. Lot's of quakes, so nothing new about the occurrence.

But the magnitude 6.5 is one heck of a big rumble. Hope all are okay.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lot's of quakes, so nothing new about the occurrence.
That is simply horse chit. You live in Maine right? I've lived here a good part of my life and never felt one prior. Eastern Idaho, on the Wyoming border/Yellowstone Caldera, tiny quakes are a daily occurance. Not for the majority of the state.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70008jr5/executive

USGS is saying 6.5 with an epicenter 70 miles north of Kid and I. I was at home during the 6.8 Nisqually quake near Seattle and 20 miles from the epicenter. This one seemed stronger and longer. Long enough to give me motion sickness.

I was typing away on the Colt forum when the floor and walls started moving. I was like WTF!

Damn! Toads or locust show up and I am going back to church!

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stand corrected. The majority of Idaho's quakes are under a 3.0 and never felt.

"Historic seismicity in the immediate vicinity of the March 31 earthquake is sparse; no earthquakes of M5+ have occurred within 50 km of this event over the past 50 years, and the most notable historic seismicity in the region occurred about 100 km to the east on the Lost River fault zone. This was the site of the 1983 M6.9 Borah Peak earthquake (October 28, 1983), which was followed by five other M 5+ events over the following year"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts