Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Anyone experience the ejector sticking when ejecting spent cartridges from a Trooper or similar Colt ? We have disassembled the crane and ejector mechanism, thoroughly cleaned and lubed it all, yet when we tighten the ejector rod it will hang up. If you loosen the rod about a quarter turn or more it works pretty good. Tighten it up and it sticks, usually at the fully extended position. I'm thinking we should start by changing the ejector spring but I don't want to spend money unneccessarily if this is a common problem with an easy fix. This is on a near mint gun by the way, not on some old beater. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, SHOOO

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Ejector rod on Trooper hangs up when ejecting

I don't have that problem with my 6" Trooper. It may be that the rod has a slight bend in it. Does it bind without the spring in place? It could be a kink in the spring.

Roll the rod along the edge of a table or desk. Does it roll freely without showing a gap?

Hopefully dfarriswheel will see this and respond.

John

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just had the same problem with a Trooper MkIII. Make sure the spring is properly seated on the spring guide down in the cylinder. I did what you did, cleaned & lubed, and then made sure the spring was properly seated. Seems to have worked.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe we will take it apart again. I did make sure the spring was positioned correctly on the guide bushing. I can see where you could mess up and put the bushing in backwards. I'm leaning towards the possibilty of a slightly bent rod which would conceivably get worse when tightened down. We did roll the rod on a flat surface and it looked okay, I would imagine it would bend first at the thread relief if it did get whacked on something. I've seen stuff like this before in my machinery repairman profession, where something works okay as long as it's not tightened down. The clearance in the threads allows for the part to move around slightly and function properly and then binds up when properly tightened down. Maybe a new spring and rod are in order in this case. I will try what JCM298A suggests and see if it binds without the spring, didn't think of that idea. Anyway, thanks to all again and I look forward to any other ideas to try, SHOO

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
This is a phenomenon you sometimes find on both the later Colt ejector rod assembly and on S&W revolvers.

Snug up the rod, and every things OK. Tighten it down, and you get binding or rod wobble.

I suspect this is caused by over-torquing the rod and causing the rod or ejector tube to "upset" and tilt the rod off center.

One possible "fix" short of altering the assembly or replacing it, is to assemble the rod per Colt specs, which is to use just a dab of Loctite Blue, (temporary) thread locker, then to torque the rod down just snug enough to keep it in place, but not to allow it to deflect.

Remember to degrease the threads of the rod and ejector tube so the Loctite can hold, and be careful not to use too much.

One problem with these rods is they tend to develop "Zee" bends in the assembly.
This causes a situation where the rod "appears" to be straight and you don't see any wobble in the assembled cylinder, BUT there is binding inside where you don't see it.

This often manifests itself as a sticky ejector rod, or cylinder binding.

Keep in mind that while the "usual" culprit is the ejector rod, this can occasionally be the ejector tube itself, or a combination of both.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dfariswheel, I'll give this a try. I am pretty familiar with the Loctite thread locking products from my line of work. Blue is definitely the choice here as you suggested. Take care all, Shoodaddy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts