Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

A friend of mine has a Cobra with a short ejector rod he wanted to replace. I am under the impression that the rod would be the same as the ejector rods for a Police Positive. Is this correct?
He has an early Cobra with the exposed ejector rod as opposed to the shrouded barrel model that came out roughly 1972. I don't assume that makes any difference for this part but I am not sure.

Also, please advise if anybody has the correct part for sale? He bought an extra one in the standard length for $7.00 but the guy he gave the gun to ruined the rod and the cylinder and bought him a replacement cylinder because of this!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A1A,
Thanks for the thread link. I will advise him to send the gun back to Colt to install the cylinder he received. I am still trying to find a correct ejector rod for him.

I know he didn't comtemplate doing the installation himself and my level of experience is not up to a job like this so I wasn't thinking of doing it either. But I will relate the information about how impossible this would be to do without the correct dedicated tools as it's worth imparting.

I occasionally tinker with semi auto pistols because I have some limited experience with them. Although I have 5 revolvers I never had any problems with them and I have never learned how to work on them. I just stick with routine maintenance.

Mike

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't any of the learned hands please tell me if my friend can use a Police Positive ejector rod as a full length replacement for the short one he has on his Cobra? Will he need a dedicated Cobra or Detective Special ejector rod?

Thanks,
Mike

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
OK, they <u>should</u> be the same. E-GunParts shows the same part number, but they are out of stock. http://www.parts4guns.com/ lists them for D frames as Ejec Rod O/S (again assuming old style) as PN 56129B. Again, even the ejector rod may not be a shoe-in. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
I started to post a long discussion on cylinder and ejector rod assemblies, but this gets confusing.

Instead, from a gunsmith's perspective, here's what's what:

First there are minor differences in the older ejector rod and cylinder assemblies. The differences include length and the thread size used for the rod and ejector.

Second, there are minor differences in the cylinders.

Here's the problem:
It's extremely unlikely the person who damaged the ejector and cylinder in the first place actually bought you a NEW cylinder, THAT IS CORRECT FOR THAT COBRA.
In all likelihood, he picked up a USED cylinder from God knows what model of Colt.
It may LOOK new, but it's probably not, and may not even be appropriate for your gun.

What you're trying to do is fit a ejector rod to an unknown cylinder, and the original ejector itself may NOT be right for the "new" cylinder.

Cylinders and ejectors MUST be fit to a frame as a UNIT. It's extremely rare that a used cylinder and a different used ejector will properly fit together AND fit a frame.

The hard truth is, revolver parts are hand fitted at the factory, and since a used part has already BEEN fitted... to a different gun, they can almost never be properly fitted to another gun.

In all likelihood, Colt or another qualified Colt repair service will tell you that the "new" cylinder cannot be used, and certainly the new cylinder cannot be used with the old ejector.

What I strongly suggest is, you save wasted money trying to fit an ejector rod to a cylinder and ejector that likely aren't compatible.

I recommend sending the gun in to Colt or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for proper repair.
Colt may no longer have the original version parts, but they can fit a new model cylinder and ejector assembly to the frame, and save the gun.
So can Pittsburgh, usually.

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

Your efforts to find an ejector rod that will fit the ejector, and still be proper for an unknown version of cylinder are pretty well doomed to be nothing but wasted effort and money.

It's unlikely that the original ejector is going to properly fit the "new" cylinder, AND allow the "new" cylinder to properly fit the frame.

Since the ejector and/or the cylinder are almost certainly going to need to be replaced, buying a ejector that isn't going to be correct is wasted money.

In other words: STOP. Let the pros put this one right. It'll cost less in the long run.

This is like trying to take used parts from an unknown model of Chevy made sometime since 1930 and making them work in a new Cadillac.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D. Faris,

Thanks also for taking the time to reply in detail.

I will link both your replies and A1A's to my friend.
As I mentioned, I am not knowledgeable about revolver repairs.

And, I noticed you stated several times "you" or "yours"
This may just be a convenient way to address the subject, so please excuse me if it's that, but this is NOT my Cobra.

I promised my friend I would ask around the best website to learn about Colts. This is the place.

Again, sincere thanks for taking the time to reply. This strikes me as a very comprehensive answer.

I already told him he should send it to Colt's, but now we know exactly WHY he should do so.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts