Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone. I must admit, I am not up to snuff on leather goods. I was wondering if any of you could tell me pros and cons of El Paso holster quality? I am thinking of purchasing one of their Cheyenne rigs for an original Colt Bisley 7 1/2" in .32-20. I understand this model is lined..is this a big factor in revolver finish wear? Thanks alot!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I have what is currently listed as their Model 44 rig. It used to be listed as The Duke. It's beautifully made.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a number of El Paso holsters and they are superbly made, I recommend them. I also have a couple of the Duke holsters which to me are perfect for SAA's. As far as lining, lined holsters are easier on the finish provided there is not a lot of grit, sand, etc stuck to the lining. When I carried a blued revolvers for duty in a lined holster years ago it was common practice to brush out the holster with a baby bottle brush from time to time and to spray the inside of the holster with pure silicone, and it seemed to help preserve the finish on the gun as well as the leather, plus made for a pretty slick draw.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I also have been buying El Paso gunleather for over 30 years and have several of their rigs.. Quality is very high - and yes a lined holster is easier on the finish... As with most of the high-end leather works wait time for your order can be substantial - several months depending on the item..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for helpful replys! Can I ask another question? Has anyone had experience with Shasta leatherworks?..One of their rigs really caught my eye. Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Adding my thanks for the replies. I just ordered an El Paso Speed Rig from them last week, so will be able to judge for myself after a while.

I studied the products of a number of other companies and finally ordered from El Paso because of:
- Numerous recommendations from others.
- Web site had the most complete product photos and ordering information, making it easy to order.
- They had the product that I wanted.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I just received my order of a suede lined belt and lined holster for a S&W Schofield from El Paso. Excellent quality. I would not hesitate to order form them again.

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I have used El Paso stuff for over 30 years and its always been top notch and their costomer service has always been outstanding

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Previously owned a Duke rig which was very good quality. 10 weeks ago I ordered a Cheyenne rig and can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I just received my order of a suede lined belt and lined holster for a S&W Schofield from El Paso. Excellent quality. I would not hesitate to order form them again.

- - - Buckspen
Buckspen,
Are you kidding? No pictures??:) Seriously, I would love to see some pictures of their recent work. Also, I know quality takes time.......so how was your turnaround?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just got my El Paso Duty Holster today. Only took a few weeks to get here. Both gun and holster look better in person...

Python holster small.jpg

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I just ordered the #44 Holster and belt rig with an additional crossdraw holster for when I want to change it up. The guys at work who have ordered their stuff rave about the quality. I'll probably have a 2 month wait before it gets here though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
EPS is awesome!

Even lined holsters will create finish wear, just at a lower pace.

EPS uses sued for lining and some believe it can pick up grime, sand, et cetera which will retain in the sued and then ad to wear. Make sure to brush the inside

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've heard two theories to the lining scenario, EPS uses a pigskin lining. The first is that the pores actually keep the grit away from the gun, versus a smoother tighter pored lining where the aggregate is forced to ride on the surface, subsequently grinding on your gun.

The second as stated above is that it can accelerate wear. I own a few EPS rigs which are lined and I like them but when I make one for myself it is getting a calfskin or veg tanned leather lining.

I can't imagine anyone having a hesitation with EPS - not only have they been around a LONG time their work, quite simply, is consistently gorgeous. Anyone that can do that high quality work all day, every day, deserves a long back log.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.