Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I’ve been told that the late model Colt Super .38 with the serial number prefix ‘ "ELCEN" ” is made up of the last REMAINING parts from the “old” Colt factory. While they are still Colt parts I wonder if they are IN someway inferior to say the 1980s Mark IV.

I just bought one that has “Colt Custom” on the left side of the slide with this prefix. It also has a 1911 (type) main spring housing and the old military type hammer.

Any thoughts on this?

Chug.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have one of these Colt Custom .38 Supers with the ELCEN s/n prefix and this is the first I've heard of them being assembled out of remaining parts from the old factory although such a notion wouldn't surprise me if it were true either /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't see any reason why they would be of any lower quality than Colt pistols of other periods.

I'm sorry I can't shed any light on the subject other than to suggest you enjoy your "shiny" new pistol /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blokey,

Don't take my question as gospel truth. A couple of guys I know said they were built from leftover parts. I don't know that to be a fact.

Having made that disclaimer, I just bought another one. Not too smart but the price was such that I believe I could get out of it if I wanted to.

I sure thought some of these Colt experts would elaborate on this. Where is da Judge when I need him.

I tell ya, one REALLY has to be careful now days with these new Colts calling them Mark IV, Series 80, Series 70, Gold Cup, etc. Buying and selling these models is prevalent right now because the average person has no clue what they are buying.

Thanks for your response. Chug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts