Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone about know how many electroless nickel aces were produced. Of course it is the post war ace and I bought mine in 1981 or 82. I am just curious if there were very many of them put out. I haven't seen any other than mine and have been told Colt didn't make them. I know they have because I bought mine new in the box. Please help if you can. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another Electroless Ace
I would be interested to know as well as I too have one NIB with green Colt Custom Shop end label. So there are at least two.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
The Colt Ace (post war) was cataloged from about 1978 to about 1985, and was listed as available only in blue finish. However, Colt Custom Shop flyers that I have from that time state the electroless nickel finish could be had on all model except "J" and "R". So the electroless nickel Aces would have been Custom Shop production (see wehiii's post above). I doubt that anyone (including Colt) really knows how many were produced.
A friend has an Ace in bright nickel finish which appears to be NIB. He claims that he researched the gun and it was one of about ten that were produced. I've never seen a letter on it, though.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The Colt Ace was discontinued during World War II, with a few being shipped Post-War. The Service Model Ace, also discontinued during the war, was reintroduced in 1978 at Serial Number SM14001, and discontinued in 1982. It did not appear in the catalogs after 1982. Some say there were a few made after that, probably the ones with the non-SM prefix serial numbers (B70 as I recall), but I have not seen any factory letters on such guns to confirm. The always unreliable "Blue Book" says the Service Model Ace was made through 1989, but I am skeptical. I would like to see a letter on any claimed to be that late.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Judge - Doggone it, you made me dig out my catalogs again. The (Service Model) Ace was listed in the Colt catalogs for 1983, 1984 and 1985. The gun also shows up in factory price lists for those years. And it's interesting that in the catalogs it is called just the "Ace" or "Ace Service Model".
By the way, I looked at my friend's bright nickel (SM) Ace today and it definitely looks like the real thing. However, there is no label on the box, so without an actual archive letter, who knows just what it might be.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Bruce - Doggone it, I should have checked MY catalogs to verify my failing memory! As a fan of the .22 caliber Model O pistols, I thought I was clear on their Post-War production period. Clearly, I was not. (I hope this will burn the production dates in my memory so I will not make the same mistake again!) I hate it when I goof up something like this, since I am sure it casts doubt on anything I have said or will say in the future, and with good reason. I shall be more careful in the future, and not rely on my failing memory. (This "Old Timer's Disease" is no fun!) Sorry for the error.

Encourage your friend to letter the bright nickel Service Model Ace. If he does not want to spend the money, I will kick in a few bucks to a letter fund drive because that is something that really should be documented.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank Ya'll for the replies. I wish I could find out how many were made but that is probably impossible. Mine will be passed on in the family but I will have had my fun with it. I have used it most of it's life for snakes out here in the oil field but I bought a Browning 1911-22 the other day and I think I will retire the Ace to the safe. It still looks brand new but it is very used.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Judge - Don't feel bad. I make mistakes like that all the time. I think it comes from being "elderly". (I don't think I'm elderly, but some other folks do!)
I got the serial number of the bright nickel SM Ace (SM141xx) and will try to call Bev Haynes at Colt next week about it. The owner has no interest in a letter, but I'm really curious about the gun.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Wow, that is an early number, since they began at SM14001. I have SM144XX, which I always thought was early, but your friend's beats mine! Will Ms. Haynes give you "free" information in regard to the finish? If so, how did you manage to get such special treatment?

If your friend has no interest in a letter, then he should not own such a gun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts