Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie first post here -
came across a Python 4" in the 'electroless nickel'and haven't seen much info on this model.
It's in very good + condition, serial # indicates a '67 year model. No box or papers, but shot very little!
Wondered what they bring typically since I just had to get it!!!
Thanks for any info...
Oilfieldtrash

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel,
Thanks for the info. I'm perplexed a bit now /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...
I double-checked the serial # and off of the list here on the forum, it indicates a '67 or early '68 date. The frame is stamped with a small 'N' though, which is further confusing me.I checked under the stocks and the finish is identical(and as well-done) as the rest of the finish on the revolver. I initially thought it was a 'brushed' or 'satin' stainless.
Like I said, the thing is in very good shape mechanically and asthetically. If it is a re-finish, it was done well! Just hope it didn't turn it into something undesireable /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Like I said, I'm new to Colt revolvers, so I have a lot to learn!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Thanks for the feedback,
Oilfieldtrash

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Give us the serial number with last two digits XXed out and we can verify the date. Maybe you have that wrong??????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
diamondback68,
Here goes...652XX
Maybe I'm just screwing-up on the date /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Thanks for the help...you guys are awesome /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oilfieldtrash

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Assuming you are taking this number off the yoke behind the cylinder crane, then it would be 1967. Problem is, they didn't do electroless nickel back then. Or you may be looking at a hardchrome re-finish.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
The "N" under the serial is an inspectors mark.

To understand better, is the gun a bright mirror-like nickel, or is a duller satin color?

Back then Colt definitely was doing bright nickel, but not satin electroless-nickel, also known as "Coltguard".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
diamondback/dfariswheel,
That's where I got the serial# from and it's a 'duller', grayer finish like I've seen on other Colts - not bright and shiney or polished appearing at all.They didn't put out a 'matte' stainless back then, did they?? (like I said, I know very little about Pythons /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)
If it's a re-finish,it's well done. I've looked in all the 'nooks and crannies' and can see no mis-matching at all, anywhere.
Oilfieldtrash

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wondered what they bring typically since I just had to get it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you didn't pay to much, but I suspect you did since you just had to get it. That Python sounds like it's been refinished. The finish is probably hard chromed like mentioned above. Some companies doing the hard chrome do excellent work. The stainless Pythons didn't come out until the 1980s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
majic,
No, I didn't lose my shirt on the deal and at this point I'll plan on keeping it as a shooter. A little disappointed perhaps, but if I'd payed top dollar, I'd have been really bummed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I have no idea what it'd be worth even if I did want to move it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Live and learn I guess, but it's still a nice piece /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
This is an example of a hard chrome refinish. The hard chrome layer is thin enough that even the markings can be quite crisp if they did not have to be buffed to remove a previous finish or blemishes. Hard chrome is very durable. Refinishers also do e-nickel. E-nickel, like bright nickel, will tend to have a slight goldish or yellowish tinge when compared to hard chrome which will be whiter / grayer.

HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A1A,
Thats it! From what I see in the photo, it's identical.
There was no box or paperwork with it, so I have no idea who did the re-finish. And like you said, the lettering, etc. is very crisp and detailed.
Personally, I kinda like the way it looks.Hopefully get it to the range soon and see how it shoots /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks to you guys for all the info...good learning for a 'rookie' Colt wheelgun fan !!
Oilfieldtrash

1 - 14 of 14 Posts