Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a nickel Official Police model ser. no. 905xxx with what appeared to be a coltguard style finish. Would this be correct. Also had a set of what appeared to be Pachymar style grips with a gold colt emblem in them. New stuff to me anyway, maybe some of the old hands could shed some light....

Steve

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: electrolis officers model

905xxx would have been made in 1966.to my knowledge the satin finnish was not produced till around 1970 something. possibly the o/p mk111 was offered in satin nickle but i have never see one. more likely a gun with a worn finish was beadblasted and refinished in nickle and the stocks replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Icdux 1 for the info. I have been seaching around the site for info. Lots of questions about finish here, but I haven't seen any pictures to show the difference in hardchromed, electoless, and royal coltguard. Anyone have pics of a revolver with any of these finishes that they can post?

Steve

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
Pictures rarely are good enough to adequately show the difference between the various plated finishes Colt used.

Hard Chrome is a finish Colt rarely used, and then usually as a custom order through the Custom Shop.
Colt sent this work out to outside contractors.
True hard chrome Colt's are not too common.

Hard chrome has a distinctly "white" color that's close to stainless steel. It's available in finishes from a flat pearl-gray to a bright polished finish.
Hard chrome is an extremely hard, scratch resistant finish.

Satin Electroless Nickel was also called "Coltguard" at various times at Colt.

Satin Electroless Nickel has the typical "yellowish" color common to all nickel plating.
It's almost always in a satin finish with an orange peel, bead blasted surface. The usual variations are of how rough the underlying bead blasting is.
The Colt's were fairly smooth. By comparison, the current Remington Magnum Marine shotgun is rather rough.

Satin Electroless is a fairly soft finish that scratches about as easily as bright nickel.

The finishes are best ID'd by comparing them to known stainless steel.
Hard chrome will have the "white" color common to stainless.
When Electroless Nickel is compared you can easily see the "yellowish" tint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Dfarriswheel for the great info. The revolver is sitting on layaway. When I pick it up I will post some photo's. It has obviously had a trigger tune job, and I am somewhat new to Colts, but I haven't seen the Pach style grips with the gold Colt emblem before. Was the custom shop doing this type of hard chrome work in '66? The thing I liked was that the roll-marks are still crisp. It needs a good cleaning, what would you recommend. I know enough to stay away from ammonia based solvents....

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts