Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:While I have a few old colts, this is my first post, so be kind, please.I bought, today, a Series 1 Woodsman Sport (c 1937) that has correct elephant ear grips with no cracks or chips!I've never seen anything other then a Match Target with EE grips. Anyone have any idea if they came from the factory that way?I understand undamaged grips are fairly valuable, so I'm toying with selling the grips and replacing with regular grips assuming I can find a nice set. Anyone have any idea of the value of the grips alone? Id say there in very good condition, no chips or cracks. Very little wear, a scratc or two is present.Thanks,Bob l.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
The "elephant ear" stocks are indeed very valuable. I have not seen a set sell for years, so it is impossible for me to estimate a sale price. Just put them on eBay with several good pictures and the market will decide.

Just so you know, the "elephant ear" stocks attach with a screw in the front strap, which means there will be an extra hole in the front strap since the regular stocks attach with a screw side-to-side through the frame.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Worth at least $400 and probably you can get more if in Very nice condition. EE grips came from the COLT factory. The 1st series MT also came with plastic grips, but the EE are most desirable.
Ted

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "elephant ear" stocks are indeed very valuable. I have not seen a set sell for years, so it is impossible for me to estimate a sale price. Just put them on eBay with several good pictures and the market will decide. Just so you know, the "elephant ear" stocks attach with a screw in the front strap, which means there will be an extra hole in the front strap since the regular stocks attach with a screw side-to-side through the frame.
Interesting point. There is a ferrule in the grip for a screw, but no screw, nor a screw hole in the frame. Does this imply that the EE stocks must have been installed non factory? It would seem that if the stocks were done by the factory, that they would have drilled the frame? I was thinking about a factory letter, but this gives me second thoughts.Thanks,Bob L.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Interesting. I own four 1st series MT and all have the screw hole in the front grip strap of the frame for the EE grips. Bob Rayburn writes pg 39, "EE grips were standard. Small number had regular Woodsman stocks. Plastic stocks used on WWll military contracts."
Ted

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
I am not sure that I understand your statement. A Match Target has a threaded hole in the front strap and a hole side-to-side through the frame near the back strap. If your pistol has no hole in the front strap, then the stocks cannot be factory-installed. That, however, is good news, since the pistol is not damaged and the "elephant ear" stocks can be sold for a handsome sum and proper stocks can be purchased with money left over.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure that I understand your statement. A Match Target has a threaded hole in the front strap and a hole side-to-side through the frame near the back strap. If your pistol has no hole in the front strap, then the stocks cannot be factory-installed. That, however, is good news, since the pistol is not damaged and the "elephant ear" stocks can be sold for a handsome sum and proper stocks can be purchased with money left over.
I was thinking that if a letter supported my thought that the stocks were factory, then I would have a rather rare bird, a Woodsman Sport with factory target stocks. If it didn't, then I have simply another WS.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I know from my examination of the factory shipping records that there were a few Sports and Target models special ordered with Match Target stocks. I believe I have a Colt internal memo detailing the extra costs for the special order. The two that I have owned were both D&T in the front strap.

I just noticed that you say 1937. If so the grips did not come with the gun since the MT was introduced in 1938.

I would buy very nice condition originals all day long at $400 or $500 and sell them for a nice profit. Examine carefully for splits down the front strap.

Bob Rayburn
colt22.com.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts