Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of unfitted Ivory grips I picked up that are much longer than my P1650 grips. Would these be better fitted to another gun or just cut down to fit my SAA? What else might hey fit better, Not opposed to picking up a gun to fit the grips. I'm in SE Texas, anyone knw someone fairly close other than ElPaso to get fitted?

https://cqd0pa.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y4plf_ml4h61Ygc9zIwgd4FZCrQqA7K_zZWME9ypMt-w8TXbbtLTLCYBsuub3ptsO4DLRKxxWKCGjNS9YWOHlm61wwhLeZB6JCPwxBjyiYMTu4Ou3-tPjqPe9QWQ-Hbgj1xMr2xOGQbfJ_S-CSTbPpNDRiF58Sl4qnHbq1yhKP1uP25JqMEsxZ51dfZFlFyFN8gsb5uH_RKnyHoby7lHeNJew/2016121
8_235709.jpg?psid=1

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Brandon at Luter Armory in Dallas does an excellent job in fitting grips. I just picked up 2 pistols from him today that he worked for me, an 1875 Remington with a worn safety notch and a 3rd Model Russian S&W with a broken bolt spring.

He has fit grips for me in the past and can work Ivory.

If you look him up tell him Ed in Frisco sent you ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopalong, looks like that what they may have been for. Anyone think they are worth more elongated and that I shouldn't cut down?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I would have them fitted to my gun, but that's me.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I don't know where you will find a gun to fit those grips. You have two choices; cut them off to fit your gun, or fit them to your gun with a spacer at the bottom for an elongated grip.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you get the extended grip frame...

...you'll need a pair of these :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The extended grip frame goes back over a hundred years, in the 1890's it was an option for target shooters of the Colt flat top target before the Bisley was introduced. It was offered thru the custom the last few years. They're hardly ever seen bcause they are so hideous.
Yours are probably worth a lot in a trade for a standard pair of ivories but a hassle these days with ivory laws. Just have them cut down and fit to your gun. Maybe the grip fitter above will want them and have a standard size to put on your gun, and you might get your grips fit for free on the difference.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Those shoes are just damned funny. I have "Trump" hands so probably wont be going the route of the extended Colt grip. When I asked, I was thinking another BRAND might have been a better match. I like the idea of a match, but the grips have a nice patina, so looks like a trip to the fitter.

jeff

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The extended grip frame goes back over a hundred years, in the 1890's it was an option for target shooters of the Colt flat top target before the Bisley was introduced. It was offered thru the custom the last few years. They're hardly ever seen bcause they are so hideous.
Yours are probably worth a lot in a trade for a standard pair of ivories but a hassle these days with ivory laws. Just have them cut down and fit to your gun. Maybe the grip fitter above will want them and have a standard size to put on your gun, and you might get your grips fit for free on the difference.
I was just coming to give this same information. From my understanding, the "pre-Bisley" large grip frame SAA was quite rare even when they were offered. So finding a gun or someone with a gun for them to fit will be about impossible, unless you find one of the newer 3rd gens which I didn't know existed until now.

Now, I don't know too much about the old perc guns, but could the OP's grips perhaps be for an 1860 Army? Aren't their grips similar but larger to a SAA?

Reactions: sixguns

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The last CCA show gun to be fitted w/ ivories has extended grips, but the profile was more analogous to that of an 1860 Army, not the hideous clown shoes pictured above.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The extended grips from the "flattop target era" were not extended metal frames. They were simply extended wood stocks with a wood spacer to match, fitted over the bottom of the standard trigger guard, with 2 escutcheons and screws and typically checkered. One in the spacer and one in the main body of the stock. I suppose you could do the same with your ivories, if you wanted. If you have Sutherland's book, there are some nice pictures of the extended grips.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
The extended grips from the "flattop target era" were not extended metal frames. They were simply extended wood stocks with a wood spacer to match, fitted over the bottom of the standard trigger guard, with 2 escutcheons and screws and typically checkered. One in the spacer and one in the main body of the stock. I suppose you could do the same with your ivories, if you wanted. If you have Sutherland's book, there are some nice pictures of the extended grips.
I think USFA offered that same two escutcheon set option.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you cut them down are they still going to wide enough once the the bottom is gone? Wide as in side to side not front to back.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was questioned offline by a fellow member why I was looking other than in El Paso for a fitter. It is simply as stated that I wanted a local as I didn't see as a huge job and I would rather deliver and pick up personally rather than mail back and forth. Texas ain't like the Northeast..... we be a big state here in Texas and a drive down to ElPaso is 8+ hours......

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Im thinking they may be profiled for an 1860 Army also. Another SA gun with extended grips is the Herters Powermag. Ive got one in 401 Powermag and just can't get used to the extended grip frame....may cut it down and do some metalwork on it later.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Those grips were probably made for the #5 grip frame similar to Elmer Keith's sixgun? I had to do alotta fitting when I fit a Hunter grip frame to a Ruger Blackhawk. pics later when I get on my other pc. mebbe?

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
Im thinking they may be profiled for an 1860 Army also. Another SA gun with extended grips is the Herters Powermag. Ive got one in 401 Powermag and just can't get used to the extended grip frame....may cut it down and do some metalwork on it later.

A few years ago I purchased a set of scrimshawed ivory grips that I thought might fit a Colt SAA. They turned out to have a very strange profile due to the narrowness through the mid-grip section and their extra length. A friend told me he thought they were made to fit some version of a Herter's revolver. Maybe they fit the PowerMag. I have never seen a PowerMag, but I will be on the lookout for one just to see if that is what these grips fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts