Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do engravers usually put their initials somewhere on their work? Where would it be?
Also if not done by Colt, what could I assume this would add to the value of this 1955 commercial?
It is lettered, but does not mention the engraving. It's also possible it may or may not have been refinished prior to engraving. Front sight may or may not be from the Colt custom shop. What would you guys value this at?
Thanks SnakeGunner.

20140504_162944.jpg 20140504_163000 - Copy.jpg 20140504_163009 - Copy.jpg 20140504_163033.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe these are real Mother Of Pearl grips with Colt emblems. I really need to take better pics. These were with my cell phone..

·
Premium Member
19,472 Posts
SnakeGunner, If the letter from Colt does not mention engraving, it was most likely not done at time of manufacture. If it were sent back to the factory for engraving, that information is not likely to ever be obtained from Colt.
The pattern and style do not strike me as being factory done. It appears that your gun has a silver inlay running down the center of the design. That is commonly done and was introduced many decades ago by engravers. I have a matched pair of Winchester M-61 22's that were done in that same style by Hiroo Sugaya. He was a very famous engraver who started his art in Japan and later moved to the USA and did contract engraving for REI out of Ridge Park, IL. A picture of his engraving was featured on Guns Magazine Feb. 1970 (a M-60 S&W).
I will attach pictures of my Winchesters for you to compare. He signed one of the M-61's, but did not sign the other.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most Engravers of standing sign their work some where on the firearm. Many weekend cutters do not. I do not believe that the 1911 you have is factory done, it does not match the styles and patterns used at Colt. That does not mean its value is hurt, only that its not "Factory" . Many non-factory engravings have very good value, remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. P.Quig

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks saintclair those M-61's are amazing. I appreciate your input and value your opinion.
SG

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most Engravers of standing sign their work some where on the firearm. Many weekend cutters do not. I do not believe that the 1911 you have is factory done, it does not match the styles and patterns used at Colt. That does not mean its value is hurt, only that its not "Factory" . Many non-factory engravings have very good value, remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. P.Quig
Thanks P.Quig. I like it a lot. Would just like to learn a little more about the artist.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dalfort, I will have a get out my big magnifying glass and do some detective work. I have not checked under the grips yet.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not planning on selling this, but would anybody care to venture what this almost 60 year old Colt with 25 % engraving might be worth?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What value would you guys place on this 1955 Colt commercial? How much do you think this engraving would have cost? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
19,472 Posts
Snake, adding engraving has a plus and a minus feature to it. An original un-engraved gun has value of a nominal $1000 in today's market. Once it is engraved, it is no longer original and that value decreases. At the same time, the engraving will add to the new decreased value of that gun. I will assume a knock down to $700. If the engraving is well executed, the amount on your gun should be worth about $2000. Therefore value should be about $2700. If the engraving was done by a well known Master Engraver (and can be proven or is obvious to an expert), add another $1000. Just my estimation from some pictures.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snake, adding engraving has a plus and a minus feature to it. An original un-engraved gun has value of a nominal $1000 in today's market. Once it is engraved, it is no longer original and that value decreases. At the same time, the engraving will add to the new decreased value of that gun. I will assume a knock down to $700. If the engraving is well executed, the amount on your gun should be worth about $2000. Therefore value should be about $2700. If the engraving was done by a well known Master Engraver (and can be proven or is obvious to an expert), add another $1000. Just my estimation from some pictures.
Thank you saintclair!
That is some great info for all of us.SG

·
Registered
61 Posts
SnakeGunner, If the letter from Colt does not mention engraving, it was most likely not done at time of manufacture. If it were sent back to the factory for engraving, that information is not likely to ever be obtained from Colt.
The pattern and style do not strike me as being factory done. It appears that your gun has a silver inlay running down the center of the design. That is commonly done and was introduced many decades ago by engravers. I have a matched pair of Winchester M-61 22's that were done in that same style by Hiroo Sugaya. He was a very famous engraver who started his art in Japan and later moved to the USA and did contract engraving for REI out of Ridge Park, IL. A picture of his engraving was featured on Guns Magazine Feb. 1970 (a M-60 S&W).
I will attach pictures of my Winchesters for you to compare. He signed one of the M-61's, but did not sign the other.

Can you post a close-up picture of Hiroo Sugaya's signing on your model 61?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts