Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a look at a engraved Colt python 6" bright stainless. It was nicely engraved to a high standard but did not have the Colt ENG markings on the frame stock under the grips like you would expect on a factory engraved Colt and since he was not the original owner he did not have any paperwork or box for it. He did say that he believed it was first sold in 1989. It did however have the letter J on one side of the grip stock and the letter S on the other side of the stock. I was hoping maybe someone on here might be able to identify these markings. It also had the letter S under the ejector rod identifying it as stainless but I did not see any other markings. Maybe something was hidden in the work but that would have taken a much closer examination. The seller was a good guy and was asking a fair price but he was not sure about the engravings origin and I was only looking for a factory engraved Python. Any help you can provide in regards to the meaning of the J on one side of the grip frame and S on the other would be great. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
All of the factory engraved Pythons I own and have owned all had the COLT ENG somewhere stamped on the grip frame under the grips.
Did you try calling Colt ?
Can't hurt, it's a toll free number.
I'd be willing to bet it's not factory done.

Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first pulled those grips off I was really hoping to see the COLT ENG on there. What a bummer. I wish I knew what those other markings stood for.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If it's factory engraved, it will either have this;

or be signed by the engraver:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts