Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pretty nice engraved Vest Pocket. The pistol shipped from a large distributer to the Tosi Firearms and Music Company. The 25 guns all had pearl grips. Obviously the letter does not say it was factory Engraved, however IMO the engraving has considerable similarities to the work of William H Gough. The quality of the scrolls, flowers and vines are consistent with numerous guns known to have been engraved by Gough. The border work and zig zag patterns on the gun are not executed as well as most of the factory engraved Gough guns I’ve looked at.
It is my guess that this pistol and maybe all 25 were shipped to Gough for engraving from Tosi.
This would have been cheaper Then ordering the guns engraved from Colts.

I welcome any informed opinions on the engraving on this gun.
enjoy the pics:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Very nice balance and overall appearance. Side note, H&D Folsom in new york have a in house engraver? I have a engraved Woodsman sport model that letters to H&D folsom but is not listed as factory engraved.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Engraving is a skill...no...a gift...that eludes me. To be able to do such engraving on such a small "canvas" compared to a large handgun must be even more difficult.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
A consummate rendition of grace in carved steel and pearl...with provenance dating it's manufacture to November of 1919...just a year and 5 months after the Marine Teufelshunde took Belleau Wood ending 26 days of fierce combat.

Please do stop by and share this timeless piece of art with other hammerless aficionados at our dedicated thread: " Got Hammerless? "

https:// www.coltforum.com/threads/got-hammerless.191777/page-284#post-3190699

OORAH !!

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Nice looking VP but I'm going to be the skeptic. It doesn't look like Gough's work to me but that's just my opinion. Your presumption is that H&D ordered guns and then had Gough engrave them even though they had an engraver on the payroll. I'd like it better if it lettered but it's still a nice model N and a mystery.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I’m not saying HD Folsom had it engraved, just speculating maybe Tosi Firearms or the individual that purchased it from Tosi could have sent it to Gough for engraving.
Or maybe bubba from Kentucky engraved it last week. It’s all very subjective when the factory letter does not say “yes” for engraving.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a side by side of some known Gough engraving for comparison.
I see a lot of similarities in the line shading and scroll work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you aware of this nickel 1908 with nearly identical engraving, also shipped to Folsom in 1920?

"Colt Factory Engraved 1908 Automatic .25ACP (C12952)

There are higher resolution photos of this gun on the Collector's "Archives" website if you have the motivation to search through pages of sold items. I know I saw this pistol in their archives some time ago, but tried unsuccessfully to find it again tonight.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn’t aware of that pistol. I found it on collectors archives.....and you are correct, it is pretty much the same exact pattern as mine. very interesting.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Here is a pretty nice engraved Vest Pocket. The pistol shipped from a large distributer to the Tosi Firearms and Music Company. The 25 guns all had pearl grips. Obviously the letter does not say it was factory Engraved, however IMO the engraving has considerable similarities to the work of William H Gough. The quality of the scrolls, flowers and vines are consistent with numerous guns known to have been engraved by Gough. The border work and zig zag patterns on the gun are not executed as well as most of the factory engraved Gough guns I’ve looked at.
It is my guess that this pistol and maybe all 25 were shipped to Gough for engraving from Tosi.
This would have been cheaper Then ordering the guns engraved from Colts.

I welcome any informed opinions on the engraving on this gun.
enjoy the pics:

Being made in Nov 1919 and shipped Jan 1920 seems to raise a red flag. I wonder if this gun was shipped twice, after the original buyer backed out? Sometimes a special order engraved gun took weeks to complete, after the such as the grips were ordered and came in.

I would run this one by the Colt Archives again, and ask for the original shipment info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts