Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won this Hopkins & Allen on Gunbroker. This will be my first engraved gun. Some may think it was pricey for a "Suicide Special" but I'm pretty happy to pay a little over $300 for it. It looks a bit like some of the early small framed Merwin Hulberts which were made in the same factory. Also I think the fact that it is in .32 centerfire rather than the more common rimfire is a real bonus. I could very easily load up some black powder .32s and shoot it. The trigger pin looks like it needs a little help but overall it looks to be in decent condition.
My Wife loves the songbird engraved on the side :)

Hopkins & Allen Model XL No. 3 32 Cal Engraved : Antique Guns at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
That is just SO 1880s..!

The Cylinder is definitely very MH looking...as is the overall form in it's way.

You got a charming little H & A!

And, indeed, being Center Fire is going to make it very easy to load for.

Looking forward to the 'Range Report'..!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've always liked those little guns, just never got around to getting one. For the age of it, I think you got a great example and I wish I could find one like it. Looks Great!
God Bless
Daryl

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
What a terrific piece of firearms nostalgia. Do you know the reason for the X's on the ivory stocks? I saw the small piece missing from the bottom of one, as the seller noted. It looks like the butt of the gun was used to hammer wanted posters and maybe hit one too many nails. GREAT looking little weapon!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Nice acquisition, twaits!

Now, polish it smooth, chop the barrel, hard chrome it, and you will have a nice little underpowered belly gun to go with some of your other chop jobs.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have any idea which .32 centerfire would be what this thing was chambered for? I'm assuming something similar to .32 Colt.
Also it may be for the .32 MH cartridge which I think is similar.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Looks like the guy who engraved Merwin and Hulberts did the engraving.....looks just like them in a smaller form.

I bought this Marlin 1887 through Little Johns the other day

Reactions: CFPython

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love it! I would have bought it for that price if had seen it. Good thing I didn't, we'd have had a bidding war! Really nice pick up! Enjoy it and shoot it and let us see some more pics when you get it. I bet it takes standard .32 S&W Short cartriges.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
As a budding engraver,I took the liberty of printing a picture of the gun. I am in agreement with your wife,really like the bird.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
As with the others I think you made a good choice. If it was lying in front of me at a local gun show I'm not so sure I wouldn't have brought it home myself. The little thing is just chock full of character.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts