Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a number of engraved SAAs. Going to sell a couple, but it is difficult to find others to compare. This one was made 1881, 44-40, restored and engraved by FEMA certified master engraver Swanson. The gun looks brand new 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg with the exception of the perfectly fitted ivory grips that appear as old as the 1881 gun. Gun is nicer than the pictures show with the glare. Any ideas of fair market value?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
460 Posts
when I am trying to price a nicely engraved restoration like the one displayed I tend to look at sites like Nutmeg that retail some of their own work. They have a couple now that are roughly equivalent and they are in the upper 5K to 7K range.

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
There is a master engraved Storekeeper (4") SAA with birdseed grip frame with beautiful ivory. Nickel plated. Perfect condition. C+ coverage. Asking $4500. They might take less.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a master engraved Storekeeper (4") SAA with birdseed grip frame with beautiful ivory. Nickel plated. Perfect condition. C+ coverage. Asking $4500. They might take less.
That "birdseed" grip frame is a rarity. I could not find that gun, is it an antique?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I auctioned a similar on that was done by him and it brought $5400 late last winter. His work is fantastic. I went to his shop when he did my last progect. If you want it the sky is the limit as far as what he can do.

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
johnh, The gun in question is an early 3rd gen SAA. It is being sold on consignment. I think it was engraved by Dennis Kies.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$5-$6K was my guess at retail also. I think maybe being a 1881 44-40 7 1/2" with antique ivory grips will help a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts