Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do/did all these engravers use the hand hammer/chisel engraving method?
Phil Quigley
Cuno Helfricht
Darrick Smalley
Ken Hurst
Alvin White
John Pilkington
A. Pursley
Bernie Wolfe
Dennis Reigel
Carminr Lombardy
Mike Dubber
Clint Finley
Howard Dove
Ben Shostole

John Adams
John Adams Jr
Angelo Bee
Robert Valade
Jeff Flannery
Denise Thirion
Jerome Harper

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Mike Dubber sometimes uses an NGraver. He gave a seminar at a couple of CCA shows a few years back and I was able to attend. I watched him engrave a cylinder with the machine. It was very interesting to watch.

- Buckspen

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
All of my guns but two were done at least in part (major part!) via NGraver or something similar. I'd say most working engravers today use a NGraver. But you have engravers listed back to Cuno Helfricht 100 years ago and guys who just started doing it like Darrick Smalley. Big spread......

Phil Quigley supposedly does it all by hand.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Almost all my engraving I did with the Gravermeister I bought from Brownells in 1975 for $750. I needed to do my own engraving after disappointments outsourcing clients antique restoration jobs. They would engrave in their "style" rather than copy 17th century work. Over time I engraved about a dozen pistols, mostly mine, my first below, copying Nimschke designs --

The GRavermeister is pneumatic, like a tiny air hammer seen on the streets, capable of fine detail, force controlled with a foot treadle plus selectable stroke frequency. After about 20 years I sent it back to the factory, thinking it was time for an overhaul. It came back, no charge due no work done other than inspection & re-lube. I since learned a big use of them in archeology ---->

1 - 6 of 6 Posts