Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Here is a picture of my colt SAA from 1882. I know nothing about this engraving. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Just trying to figure out where this gun has been and what the engraving means. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
It looks like it could be someone's brand. They read as sort of their own language. I haven't seen those exact symbols before but in the old days, brands were hand forged and no two looked alike. It could be a variation on the symbols "swinging M", or it could be something entirely different. All brands were and still are required to be registered. You could start by looking through your state's brand book, or the state that you bought it from. Then again, it could just be some guys initials, it's hard to tell.

Reactions: longranger

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Looks like a Cattle 'Brand' to me also ( rather than a Monogramme ).

Are there any other areas which are Engraved on the old SAA?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well done, so I vote for a cattle brand or Indian symbol....Jim

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hello everyone! Here is a picture of my colt SAA from 1882. I know nothing about this engraving. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Just trying to figure out where this gun has been and what the engraving means. Thanks for your help!
How 'bout some pics of the rest of the gun. Looks like a nice one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Might be an old brand from the Spider Ranch in Arizona. Not sure just guessing. Q

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the only engravings on the gun. I will have to check registered cattle brands and see if I can find anything. I am very curious.
Looks like a Cattle 'Brand' to me also ( rather than a Monogramme ).Are there any other areas which are Engraved on the old SAA?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Definitely a Brand.
Typically, the shovel was rarely engraved unless a C or D level engraving but the shovel was the area of choice for initials only

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Letter it but don't tell Colt it's engraved. The price for the letter goes up substantially for engraved guns and you'd get ripped off for that little bit of engraving! They won't be able to tell you anything about it anyway. But the shipping destination will give you a clue as to where to start searching for that brand. And if the letter does just happen to verify the engraving as being factory, you won't care what the letter costs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts