Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that admire fine engraving and haven't seen this gun it is worth a look at the enlarged photos I think. Discounting poorly polished gun the engraving was done on, I really like the engraving pattern and the majority of the gold inlay work on this blue and case gun.

Take a look at the detailed photos on GI for a better reference. We've already talked about the gun. For those that know somethin of high-level engraving, let's talk about the engraving. Not to everyone's taste but I really like the depth of the relief cuts and shading because of it. The engraver made a minimal amount of coverage go a long way. The more I look at the engraving the more I like it. I'd also guess it is Persinger's ivory.

COLT, Engraved, Inlayed, Cased by R.P. Nott, Colt Master Engraver, .38 WCF 4 3/4”, c1906 for sale (gunsinternational.com)

Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Everyday carry

Artifact Font Helmet Creative arts Nickel

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also find the engraving execution to be pleasing, though the engraving on the the sides of the trigger guard and backstrap looks to be less well laid out than the rest. Looks like there might be some filler between the grips and frame to hide some ivory shrinkage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For those that admire fine engraving and haven't seen this gun it is worth a look at the enlarged photos I think. Discounting poorly polished gun the engraving was done on, I really like the engraving pattern and the majority of the gold inlay work on this blue and case gun.

Take a look at the detailed photos on GI for a better reference. We've already talked about the gun. For those that know somethin of high-level engraving, let's talk about the engraving. Not to everyone's taste but I really like the depth of the relief cuts and shading because of it. The engraver made a minimal amount of coverage go a long way. The more I look at the engraving the more I like it. I'd also guess it is Persinger's ivory.

COLT, Engraved, Inlayed, Cased by R.P. Nott, Colt Master Engraver, .38 WCF 4 3/4”, c1906 for sale (gunsinternational.com)

View attachment 767139

View attachment 767140
The deep relief engraving on this gun IMV, fits the “Less is More” image which grows on you the more you look at it.
And the price-What do you think the person who bid $7700+ for the plain Jane Turnbull USFA 4 3/4 would think if he compared it to this Colt, at its price, Cosmo?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good eye on the filler Mike. Profile looks to be Persinger's work. But I doubt it now when you see where they had to fill to make them fit again. I have a pair of ivory here that Frank Hendricks fit. They are almost as undersized at this pair is.

Rentfro? Compared to the $7700 USFA? As another member pointed out the buyer had previously bought 3 nice enough engraved Colts in the last month or so and should have known the difference between all four guns and the actual "value". Be fun to hear why he thought the Turnbull finished USFA gun was worth $7700 and change. Obviously, the buyer though it was. So in fact, it was!

Same buyer. Top two are factory engraved Colts:

Alvin White
Colt SAA FACTORY ENGRAVED IN 1978 Western States Animals 1 of 5 7½" .45 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 919491378

Ben Shostle
Colt Single Action Army FACTORY ENGRAVED & SIGNED by Ben Shostle 7½" .45 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 918087710
Outside my economic means to throw that kind of money at guns I would not consider real value. It would matter to me. Might not to someone else.

Colt Single Action Army 5.5" .45 Colt Case Hardened - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 915416617

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think you are seeing the raw edge of the ivory where it sits above the metal. No filler. The top edge showed file marks.

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Cosmo.
Due in part to your influence I have developed an appreciation for engraved SAA's
But for me, the 1st Gen guns are way more interesting.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cloverleaf I agree. I can't justify an engraved original 1st Gen. But there sure are some great stories and history behind them.

TR's 1912, 38 Colt.
Theodore Roosevelt Factory Engraved Colt Single Action Revolver | Rock Island Auction
Photograph Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

I'm happy with my modern engraved guns. But I value my old, no finish, 1st Gens more. And I really admire the skill and patience the best engravers have, no matter what time frame they work in.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I'm just too cheap . (a habit for my early years)
The combined value of my accumulation would probably approach a nice example or two. (good thought)

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone starts somewhere. A few Ubertis and you have the price of 3rd Gen Colt. A few Colts and you have the price of a nice, engraved gun. A few nice, engraved guns and you have the price of Colt Custom Shop gun. Somewhere in that mix is the price of a decent, shooter grade 1st Gen.

Me? I'd rather be shooting a Ubert than waiting on my bank account for that 1st Gen ;)

Everyone wants something different from our hobby.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nothing to add here of value other than the more I look at that gun the more I like it. “Warts” and all. As a side note it is a little strange to me how sometimes the wear and imperfections on an older gun are seen as making it interesting or showing it’s history. And in other cases it is seen as detracting from its worth. In this engraved gun maybe it is the bad or not high quality restoration that is the issue. Or is it that a gun like this which is more geared towards being admired and kept perfect is simply judged on a different standard.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I like the execution on this pistol. The sweep of the curves are smooth in a very nicely laid out pattern. The gold is very well done. The ears of the trigger guard and even more so the backstrap need to be brought up to the standard of the rest of the engraving. The basic metal restoration is a bit over buffed along the edges and a little letter/number clean up by the engraver would have really shown an enhanced level of care.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Only reason to ever use a "junk" base gun is to, #1 "Save" an old gun. A good many 1st Gen engraved guns were "saved" by engraving them to cover the pitting, rust or in this case a seriously bad refinish job that was over buffed, removing the sharp corners and the majority of the roll dies and stamps.

It was so common at one time in the '60s/'70s/80s that I'd guess a majority of the modern 1st Gen engraving projects out there now were done on similar "junk" guns.

The 2nd reason you might end up with a a gun like this is, the engravers are, well, engravers. The engraver may just be clueless as to what a "quality" base gun actually is. Many engravers I know are always looking for work and buy cheap guns to use as a canvas for their work, to then resale and an example of their art, gun aside.

Some engravers simply are not gun guys. Seldom do the engravers do the actual finish work or fit the grips to a gun (I don't know any capable of that doing it all) . And fewer yet are capable of sorting the internals in a Colt SAA.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, you are the one who has to live w it & if it floats your boat, go for it, I have a few engraved revolvers & I think his work is good, the one thing I find fault with is the Colt address on the barrel I don't know if he tried to enhance it but it stands out & not. I like relief engraving & stand out compared to the laser engraving you see nowadays. I have a revolver engraved by another Colt engraver about 7 years ago & he did this for me plus a custom case. The last is a S&W model 60 .357 fully relief engrave
Revolver Air gun Green Trigger Gun barrel
Vertebrate Electric blue Metal Personal protective equipment Font
Revolver Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Grey
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts