Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my early 30's and most of my collector friends are twice my age. Question: Are there enough younger collectors out there interested in this field to continue to carry it on?

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Son is twenty years old now, loves to shoot, owns many of his own guns but couldn't care less if a SAA has a removable cylinder bushing or not. He is by my definition a shooter not a collector. My quess is that will change with time. I believe that shooters become collectors at about the age of thirty. The key to maintaining a large pool of thirty year old plus collectors is to get kids interested in shooting sports when they are nine or ten. That is the real challenge. By the way, collecting is a terminal affliction, there is no cure.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thats how I got started. My dad got me interested in shooting and hunting at a young age. He as already mentioned was not a collector at first, but eventually evolved into one. He taught me a lot, but I have a lot more to learn. I just wish he could've utilized this website as much as I have already.

Lately I have tried to influence some of my friends, but most of them have a fancy for the Sigs, Glocks, and HKs. I can admit I also enjoy shooting and collecting these, but I can now appreciate the older "vintage colts" my dad put away. I have now turned my interest towards colts, and regretably wish I had done so since my first purchase.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My youngest is 22 and although he loves to shoot he do have one handgun that he got for his 15th bday that he says he will never shoot. So I guess he will fit in with the collectors/accumulators.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I see a few younger guys interested in collecting, but it's hard to save when you are young and need every nickel. When I was young, I would have loved to collect, but earning $64.00 a week all I could look forward to was inheriting my Dad's guns.

More concerning to me are kids that never get to hunt, fish, or woods loaf; and who are taught that sportsmen are knuckle dragging Neanderthals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
while I am only 32, I have a hard time "collecting" because I like to shoot everything I own. FOr this reason, I am no "true collector", however I am looking to finish snake collection and have a few 1911's that have competed with me in NRA Bullseye and IDPA.

There aren't too many guys I know my age that have a better" collection of fine fire arms in either pistol, shotgun, and or rifles.......and I shoot and maintain all of them.

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts