Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tub full of holsters today and this rig was in the mix. It is an Ernie Hill Fast Draw that appears to have some age on it. Anyone know anything about them? Very heavy leather and the entire holster and mount is steel covered in leather. Any value to it?

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0284.jpg

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
I've only seen a few of his fast draw holsters and they were black and I believe basketweave. I think they exhibit fast draw taken too far. But your tan one is really nice and doesn't look as space age to me as the black ones. I haven't checked "Holstery" so don't know vintage. Jim Martin knows, or knew Ernie Hill. This one was obviously influenced by the super popular Alfonso #1 rig and is probably designed for twist fanning. I bet a fast draw shooter would pay Alfonso price for yours. What a great bonus in a box of holsters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jim Martin asked me to post this information for him. This Ernie Hill Fast Draw rig design was originally manufactured in 1979. It is a variation of the Eliminator 3F design. This particular rig has what Ernie called an elongated speed boot. Ernie didn’t offer that style boot until 1980. Ernie used this rig to win several major Fast Draw Championship titles in the 80s. It is no longer in production but for an approximate value of this rig Ernie told me he could mount the same boot design on one of his current Fast Draw offerings for $450. Collectors might pay that or more for this one but this model is not that rare. Hundreds were sold in its heyday.

8C2DDC16-D487-47A6-9E9B-342C21D0F53A.jpg D34F1523-9C8E-4606-B8E1-2049FC6E1603.jpeg 08065CCD-3A9B-4486-8851-BC853FA59209.jpg

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Some very interesting information. It is definitely a purpose built holster. It sill had 6 empty wax bullet cases in the loops. I had a feeling Jim Martin would have some good info on Ernie and the holster.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Some very interesting information. It is definitely a purpose built holster. It sill had 6 empty wax bullet cases in the loops. I had a feeling Jim Martin would have some good info on Ernie and the holster.

I've known Ernie since he was a teenager,I met his dad Herb back in the late 50's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts