Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a little vacation and will be staying in the Estes Park, Colorado area and was wondering if anyone knew of any good gun shops that keep a few good old colts and winchesters in that area of the state. We'll probably be traveling around the region some seeing the sights and enjoying the relative coolness (compared to southern Arkansas in late June).

Thanks for any and all help.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ut Oh......No ideas or comments......I must be going to a place that is dry of good old guns! :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey, don't know about gun shops but I just left there. Heading home today. Absolutely gorgeous. Have fun. Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
I love Estes Park, it's a beautiful town but as far as I can tell it's completely dry as far as gun shops. Your best bet would probably be down in Loveland or Fort Collins, but thats a little bit of a drive.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Having lived in northern CO for over 30 years, the pickings are slim. Nothing in Estes Park as far as I know. In Ft. Collins, on East Mulberry Rd, there is a new gunshop called the Ft. Colllins Gun Room. Has some amazing items, stuff I have not seen outside of museums or very high end collectors shows. The one caveat is that he owner, to use a more PC term, can be a bit difficult. I was in there a few months ago and a man walked in with his young son. The owner looked up and told them that if they were not prepared to buy something, to turn around and leave, he doesn't like lookers. He had about 40 pre war/WWII Walther PPK mags in a case. I had been looking for one with the finger extension on the bottom for several years. When I asked the price he said, "From three hundred to several thousand." I left. Again, if you catch him in a good mood, it is worth a try, otherwise you are on your own!
A second shop is called Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply. It is further east on Mulberry just before I-25. He sometimes has a few old Colts, Winchesters and S&W's, but is very proud of his firearms. Tried to deal on a S&W 27-2, 8 3/8" barrel, no case, box or papers, about 90%...he wanted over $1200 for it and wouldn't budge.
With all that, Estes Park is beautiful and you should have a great time.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We plan on doing some driving around and exploring the whole region.....I've got 7 days and don't plan on spending them cooped up in a cabin on the fall river!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
....if they were not prepared to buy something, to turn around and leave, he doesn't like lookers.
How the hell can you buy something unless you look first?? A not-so PC term would be: what an a**hole!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I hitchhiked through there in 1979 and stayed a week. It was a great town. the hotel from The Shining is there. Don't know about guns, though.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That hotel is called "The Stanley".....I had forgotten about it being there, thanks for the reminder Wyatt.

I also found out that Brian Lebel is having a gun show and auction at the Denver Merchandise Mart just about the time I will be driving by so there is no way I won't be stopping in for that show!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you can make it to Gunsmoke, (on the NorthWest side of Denver and about 1-1/2 hrs from Estes), you should also stop in at the Gun Room on West Colfax, just a few minutes from Gunsmoke. I just sold a Series 70 through them and they have a pretty good inventory. Also, if your in this area, you should also stop in at Green Mountain Guns at Wadsworth and Hampden. Another shop of interest is the Frontier Gallery on South Broadway. If you come to the Denver area and would like a little more info, feel to send me a P.M. and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
Mac

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can make it to Gunsmoke, (on the NorthWest side of Denver and about 1-1/2 hrs from Estes), you should also stop in at the Gun Room on West Colfax, just a few minutes from Gunsmoke. I just sold a Series 70 through them and they have a pretty good inventory. Also, if your in this area, you should also stop in at Green Mountain Guns at Wadsworth and Hampden. Another shop of interest is the Frontier Gallery on South Broadway. If you come to the Denver area and would like a little more info, feel to send me a P.M. and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
Mac
Thanks for the information Mac. I think I've been to the frontier gallery before back in the late 80's....if I remember correctly it was near downtown. Once I got in there I recognized the owner as a person I've seen at some gun shows in Las Vegas. The pricing on the few prewar single actions they had was pretty steep compared to the current trends at the time.

We'll probably kick around Denver some so I'll check your suggestions out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yup, Dave Weddle is the owner of the Frontier Gallery and he travels to numerous gun shows. Yup, the prices are a little on the high side.
Mac

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The Gunroom usually has a nice selection of older guns.They are on Carr st,half a block north of W.Colfax Ave.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions fellas....we are in estes park and boy it's HOT up here.....left arkansas for cooler weather and it's actually hotter than home currently but at least it's not as humid. They are setting record temps. Had a house fire today west of estes and they said so far it has claimed 16 homes. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts