Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Police Positive Target chambered in .22 WRF. It's in about 80% condition. Blueing on frame closer to 90% but the barrel is devoid of any finish for an inch or so in front of the frame. No rust or pitting at all. Gutta percha grips are pristine. Bore bright. Function is flawless. Serial # 78XX. Underside of barrel is clearly marked U.S.M.C. with an overstamped cartouch of three initials,one of which is a P but I can't make out the other two (one might be a C ?). It also has a lanyard ring. I would appreciate any info and an estimate of how much it might be worth. Thanks.
f.t.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
f.t.; this is one case where you may need a factory letter,which from Colt,is in the $100 range(and no certainty that it will list a USMC "pedigree").

I checked both Pate's and Wilson-Sutherlands' books for you,and no mention of the Marines ever getting any P.P. .22 Targets-but the U.S. Customs did. I saw one in February at a show,but it was later issue with the wood stocks,and I don't think it had a lanyard.

Pate in his book on Military handguns,mentions a few small purchases of Colt(and S&W) between the wars,of .22 O.Polices,Officers Targets,and S&W M&P .22s,mostly Outdoorsmen.

Could have been a "pistol range gun",bought through a wholesaler??

No idea of the "value",but if it is genuine USMC,you would have BOTH Colt and military collectors willing to pay a "good price" for it.

The overstamp could be that of the wholesaler who bought it,or possibly another "agency" that got it from the marines.

The .22 WRF is VERY ODD,for a service owned gun!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bud. I really appreciate you taking the time to check on it for me. I really have no intention of selling it. Was just curious as to whether it might indeed be military and approximate value. I agree that .22WRF would be a strange choice for military application.
f.t.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts