Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 1969 Nickel colt python 4" refinished once Colt is taking orders again. Any experience by the good folks here on that? About how much to just refinish the cylinder? Whole gun?
Thanks.
K

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 6" refinish in nickel was $400. For what it is worth, I sent it back Sept. 3rd 2012 and still do not have it back.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow Jeffro, that's a long wait - do they provide any updates to the status or phase it's in at all or just a "black hole" of info? Any business, IMO, that has to turn away business due to capacity needs to...increase capacity to make more money to grow even more. I'm just baffled that Colt isn't doing everything to hire and train more artisans to continue to grow their business.

Let me know when you get it back and pix - I'm sure they will do an outstanding job - you must be bursting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sent my 2 1/2" Python to Colt for re-bluing in Nov 2012. They sent me a letter a couple of weeks later indicating that the ship date of the refinished revolver would be Feb 2013. When it didn't arrive, I called them on 28 Feb. They said that I didn't authorize the refinishing, so no action was taken. Since the letter stated a delivery date, it was not obvious I had to reply to it. I immediately authorized the refinishing. I just contacted them & was told that they should return it next week. In conversation with customer service, the lady said that they are indeed overloaded & are having a very difficult time finding competent technicians. I must add that Colt Customer Service is outstanding...

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Our local Home Depot can't find enough people that can pass a drug test to point you to the electrical department . I can see where Colt would have a hard time finding anyone that even wanted to learn a skill.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had contact with Colt and they said it was in polishing. They also said it usually goes pretty quick from there. That was a month ago. I will contact them again this week. Hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow i had no idea Colt was a year turn around for a refinish. Stinks they have to turn away business due to lack of skilled help. On a side note I had a nickle S&W 586 refinished and it took exactly 10weeks turn around for Smith and Wesson back in January.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Some people have figured out that they can pick up a finish challenged Python for around $700/800,send it to Colt for a $400 refinish then put it on GB for a $400/600 profit.I think that's some of the back up at Colt.JMO. D*

Reactions: Colt75

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Wow i had no idea Colt was a year turn around for a refinish. Stinks they have to turn away business due to lack of skilled help. On a side note I had a nickle S&W 586 refinished and it took exactly 10weeks turn around for Smith and Wesson back in January.
The disparity in trained factory employees numbers between S&W and Colt is quite large. Think a lake verses a puddle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts