Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally through the years I’ve come across a consecutive serial in the various USFA models. Some guns they made so few of, it’s not impossible when you own a few. But with regular production Colts, .. well. Ive long since forgotten what they tried to teach me about probability and odds and all that jazz.
in this particular case, I’m speaking about the Colt “G series” which is the little Colt Peacemakers and New Frontier 22’s. during the decade of the 1970’s, Colt made thousands and thousands of them. Don’t have my Wilkersons book in front of me, but seems like 192,000 ? .. somebody will know.
anyhow, a sort of grail gun for the collectors of those “baby” SAA’s Is the 4-3/4” because they were only made in 1971 and then Colt shortened the 4-3/4” to exact 4.4” to be flush with the ejector rod housing more or less. anyway, I searched out one of those some years ago. The case colors on those steel framed early years productions are usually very vivid. Got me one. Well. Lo and behold, another one came along NIB condition and it’s a consecutive serial to the one I already have.
I haven’t gotten them side by side yet, but it’s coming.
anyway.. the odds. A consecutive serial and in the same barrel configuration. has any other Colt collectors ever pay attention to consecutive serials to your current collection, when looking to buy and has it ever happened?

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
That’s cool Ben!

A quick story here. I had spied a 1st Gen 38Spl 7.5” in a case at a local shop. It looked right as rain but it was priced lower than it should. So I called the late Hugh Clark (SWAMPRAT) and ran some details by him. The funny thing is, if you knew Hugh, he had a penchant for numbers and asked the serial number. 356494 I replied...he said hold on a minute. After a short minute he returned to the phone and said the exact configuration and sister was shipped to the BofB efforts and is in “The Study of...” book it’s 356495. That was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have a Colt Model 1903 USP-marked pistol. It isn’t on the list of those issued to a General Officer but when I mentioned it in a thread a couple of years ago, Sam Lisker commented that he owns the consecutive-numbered gun and his WAS issued to a GO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can remember walking into the Old English Gun Shop here in western Ohio back in the late 90s and he had three consecutive Colt SAAs in the display case, could've had all three for $3600. Shame I didn't have it at the time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
A friend once had a consecutively numbered PC .45 to one of mine. His was NIB and mine was one of my shooting pair but different grips and slicked action so I passed on it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a couple of CCS SAA's in 45 Colt in the safe like that. Was going to get them HC by Tripp but am still thinking about it. Would kill the resale. Thought about using Colt at the time but they did not use Tripp as it turns out have not shot hose 2 anyway yet.

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
A serial number of a Model 1911 consecutive to one I already owned was posted to a forum. Turned out that it had been so badly treated I turned down the offer to buy it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have never had consecutive numbered guns but I have found two sets of guns from different makers that had the same serial number. One set is my dads Model 700 he bought in I believe 1962 when the 7 mag first came out then years later I found a a three screw Ruger Blackhawk with the exact same 4 digit serial number so I had to grab it too. Both have been given to my oldest son. Both guns are S# 2468. The other two were a Colt Police Positive and a S&W triple lock both with serial number 164.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I will try to remember to check the letters on the pair. As I recall the 38 COLT was a 'Rocking Horse' variety and the 45 COLT was not. That was odd.
Thanks! Let me know if you get a chance to look. Also, what does it mean to be a "Rocking Horse"? New terminology to me.

·
Premium Member
19,460 Posts
Thanks! Let me know if you get a chance to look. Also, what does it mean to be a "Rocking Horse"? New terminology to me.
The Rampant Colt that is stamped on the left side of the SAA receivers started out as a Horse in a circle. As die breaks occurred to the circle, most of it was lost on some SAA's except for a small arc under the Rampant Colt. The resulting appearance is that of a Rocking Horse.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts