Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever really got hung out to dry on a gun purchase?

If so please share your experience.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The only Colt purchase that I made that really irratated me was an early Woodsman. I didn't look at it closely until AFTER I purchased it from a walk-in at a show. That is when I realized that it was a reblue. Nice job, but a reblue all the same. Sold it within a month so that I could forget about my error in judgement.

Can't say that I have ever been taken to the cleaners on any purchase. I went into most with my eyes open and I'm willing to take my lumps. On sales, the good price thing is relative and it is purely a gun show thing with dealers; again I had my eyes open and said "yes".

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand.

I let my guard down the other day with a good dealer that runs across mint stuff. Seriously his stuff is more of an exhibit than a business. Long story short he bought a collection on unfired colts a few weeks ago. The agent I bought for a slight "unfired premium" ( I paid 450.00 ) had been fired upon better inspection. I immediately contacted the dealer and he offered a 100% refund. The gun is in great shape, just fired. The problem is that now it is in my possesion, and it will be hard to give back! If he'll give me some cash off another gun, maybe I'll keep it.

I've been trying to get my hands on 98-99% snubs to fill the holes in my collection. Part of me is latching onto the possibility that I wont be able to find another 1st issue agent for some time. I hate indecisiveness!!!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
my first gun purchase was in July 1988. i was newly separated and in the Air Force. i went in this shop near my home town (on Gratiot near 21 mile road and thats all im going to say) and was looking at some revolvers...

there was a 4" King Cobra at $349 and a 6" King Cobra for $300. the 6" was "used-unfired". the shop owner said that there had been some trouble around there for about 6 weeks so he had loaded it up, carried it and then put it back in the case when the trouble went away. being ignorant i picked it for the $49 savings...

when i joined a PD as a part timer in 1991, my instructor at the academy had to tune it since it was a bit out of time and dragging the bolt stop around the cylinder. he called me at home and wanted to know who had been inside because the pins were worn and the hammer and trigger holes were out of round. he made some brass bushings for it and timed it up nice for me. i sold it and bought a new 4" KC...

i was taken by this dealer. this same store has a policy of not letting anyone work the action on any gun they have. they claim that working the action, or opening a revolver, heck even pulling the trigger on a revolver will "scratch the bolt face"...

they are way over priced anyway...

i havent been in there in 12 years...

david

·
Registered
141 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
On a internet sale I picked up the gun from my FFL with a round in the chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is scary!!!!

Greg

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh, bloody hell...

Do you mean a round as in a live round?

If that's so, someone f***ed up pretty bad!

People get killed that way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes a live round.I called the seller and told him the make of the round.he sent me $50 so I would not tell who he was. Bob McGehee

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Like .22-rimfire, I understand the risks. I have bought guns poorly presented with no return right, and have been disappointed when they were not as represented. (An unmentioned refinish is usually the problem.) However, I knew the risk going in and took a chance to get a wanted piece for which I may have been looking for sometimes years. In every case but one, I either got my money back or resold it or traded it for little or no loss. Out of many, many guns bought sight unseen, that is not too bad. I take the attitude that if I cannot afford the loss, I should not risk it. Life is full of risks and rewards, and the rewards are ahead at this point. I lose more sleep over missed opportunities (guns I should have bought) than the lemons.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have bought guns poorly presented with no return right, and have been disappointed when they were not as represented. (An unmentioned refinish is usually the problem.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking of pre-internet days when these issues occured?

·
Registered
991 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I lose more sleep over missed opportunities (guns I should have bought) than the lemons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that really hits home. Like when you purchase two because they seem like a really good deal, and they are. But then a week later the one you really wanted turns up and your pockets are empty. Oh yea...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lose more sleep over missed opportunities (guns I should have bought) than the lemons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that really hits home. Like when you purchase two because they seem like a really good deal, and they are. But then a week later the one you really wanted turns up and your pockets are empty. Oh yea...

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be much worse!
As worse as having the gun in your hand, the cash in your bankaccount and a card to pay with, but not the legal opportunity because of Dutch gunlaws! As in a almost perfect (95%) 4" DB .38S for less than $300! Yeck! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've bought most of my collection from ads in the Shotgun News (remember them?), Gun List, and lately Gun Broker and Auction Arms. In over twenty purchases, I've only had one misrepresented. After paying $60 to get it ($20 for shipping, and $40 for the transfer), I was stuck. The gun was only $200, so I just chalked it up to experience - I should have asked more questions, and the dealer should have been more forthcoming. In retrospect, I should have stood on principal and asked for a price adjustment or eaten an additional $20 and sent it back.

My local dealer tells me that fully half the guns he receives on behalf of his customers are returned as not being as advertised.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes, on a GL ad years ago.A fellow in Ok. advertised the then new Dakota 22.Needed a hefty deposit to order one.I checked with Dakota,who acknowledged he was a dealer,that as long as I had proof of payment to him, I was fine.He disappeared.Dakota refused to keep their word about the deposit and even raised the price of the gun if I wanted it.
The dealer was tracked down in Montana and was sent to jail.I was not the only one he screwed.I passed on the gun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've gotten several guns through gunbroker. Two were not as advertised. One was a Trooper MKIII that had all sorts of engraving under the grips. It was pretty gross. The seller said he was unaware of the situation and asked what I wanted to do. I told him I felt he was being honest with me and said I'd settle for a symbolic gesture on his part. Since he was a dealer, I said he probably had some old magazines lying around that he had no use for. Said for him to send me "a couple" as a goodwill gesture and I'd call it even. He ended up sending me 5 mags for guns that I had. The mags were worth probably $50 - $75. I feel I made out on this deal and the guy was able to keep his reputation intact. A win-win situation.

I used this same procedure on a Ruger Gp100 that was advertised having adjustable sights. Couldn't tell in the picture, so I assumed the description to be correct. Gun didn't have adjustable sights and the dealer sent me some mags as a goodwill gesture. Again, we were both satisfied.

In both cases, I didn't get into the transaction to get freebies. These were guns I wanted and the price was right. I figured, I couldn't just ignore the discrepancies as that would have reinforced sloppy advertising. Didn't want to screw the seller either, or accuse them of inpropriety. Instead, I acted as if they had made honest mistakes and gave them the opportunity to prove it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts