Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking for a while now, about selling off my guns. I just don't have the passion I once did. I've got other interests and hobbies that are almost as expensive and need to make a decision. Just too many irons in the fire. Now, I wouldn't sell them all, the problem is I don't know if I could decide. I'm afraid I'd have to keep most of them for one reason or another and not gain anything. There's only one conversion I need to round out the set and I want an original engraved Henry and a factory engraved SAA. That's it. I think I have every thing else I could want. I'm talking around 3-400 guns, worth, I'm conservatively estimating at 3-400k. Old West history was and is my first love and the prospect of getting rid of them is rough. On top of that, I've got all kinds of related stuff, from leather, artifacts, gun paraphernalia, reloading, Randal knife collection, big game mounts, saloon and an old jail. Is this a mid-life crisis? Have I lost my mind? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Tim. I can afford it all, but just get overwhelmed. I will go hard at one thing for a couple months and then full speed at another, etc. Old tractors, Toyota 4x4's, old Chevy's, old toys, etc....maybe I have that Attention Deficit Disorder.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
The want and needs vary, I went through a period of saving for my daughters college fund, along with the Clinton era and did not buy many firearms, now years later I wish I hadn't stop buying then. But there might be a time when it is a good time to sell, evaluate your collection and think about what makes sense to sell. You might want to touch base with Bob Rayburn as he sold many of his Woodsmens, a few years ago. PS you have many nice firearms, let me know first ! :) Craig

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sold my 1976 Toyota Landcruiser w/ 76000 original miles on it (not as pristine as it sounds, a WI truck) back in 2015. Didn't have the time or the funds to mess with it anymore. My son was 7 at the time. Man do I miss that truck!!! Keep your guns!!! Sheesh every damn kid is on Ritalin these days for ADD, sneak into the local middle school and have somebody hook you up!!! Or ask your doctor. Another thing I've learned is if you send guns to me, I become a really great friend!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I only own around 50 or so firearms. I’ve thought about selling some of my dedicated deer rifles but it’s hard to do it. For all practical purposes I haven’t deer hunted in about 13 years. A friend of my mine wants me to hunt with him on his property but it won’t be with modern rifles. It will be with my 1885 Winchester 45-70 made in 1889, a replica 1873 Winchester, and a 94 Winchester made in 1949 I got in the early 1960s. Don’t care a lot if I get a deer or not but I probably will and then I’ll have a dead deer to fool with.

I don’t own what I call Collectable guns like many on the forum. I once thought about about selling my sentimental Luger and 1917 Enfield thinking no family member would think of them as much as I do. What do you know, my 12 yo grandson is interested in World War history and he got all excited when my son informed him I have a German Luger. He has since fired it so that one is a no sale as well as the 1917. Also there’s a couple that my granddaughter has laid claim to. In fact today I bought her a Savage Muddy Girl 243 with the pink camo stock she was wanting, ugh. I’ll surprise her with it tomorrow. Oh, she wasn’t interested in my Ruger 77 International 243. Wife don’t like me selling or trading my firearms, I just need to learn and not buy any more.

So I can understand the difficulty in selling life old dreams.

Joe

·
Registered
855 Posts
The only thing I've ever wanted to quit is paying taxes.

To me it appears you are just having to much fun.

Keep it all if you can afford it, just play in one sand box till you get bored and then move over to the next.

Enjoy it all, if not I'm first in on the guns.:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had that same feeling about 25 years ago. So, I (foolishly) started selling and trading. went thru around 200. Kept the best? 25 or so that meant the most to me. Still having regrets over 20-25 guns I sold/Traded. If you do it, you have to learn to live with what is in the past, and go to something else. New hobby is way,way more expensive. On the brighter side, grandkids are more interested in the new hobby. (classic cars). You do whatever puts the cream in your coffee.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One way to look at it is do we own our stuff or does it own us. Getting rid of some of my guns would be like cutting off an arm or a leg because I have a lot of history with them. Yet some of my guns have no meaning other than I bought them to shoot and enjoy. I am a life member of our gun club and shooting is a big part of my life. Shooting gave me a foundation, a building block that helped me get my family and myself safely through life. The fun, safety,security and in some cases my guns put meat on the table.

So do I ever think about giving up? Yes I do, life has changed with old age and I sometimes think of going in a different direction. Whatever happens I will take a good Colt with me.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Thanks for the input Tim. I can afford it all, but just get overwhelmed. I will go hard at one thing for a couple months and then full speed at another, etc. Old tractors, Toyota 4x4's, old Chevy's, old toys, etc....maybe I have that Attention Deficit Disorder.
Thad, the nice thing about the guns is that you already have them. Absent the engraved Henry and factory SAA you'd like to have, there's no need to go full speed. You can just sit back and enjoy them - your own museum. 😊

·
Registered
523 Posts
Although fewer guns I have roughly the same investment you do. I've been questioning the same thing as I've lost interest in certain parts of the collection. Funny thing is that my interest in additions to the collection are very close to yours, I want a factory engraved SAA and a US marked Henry. Not much else really gets me too excited.

In my case I've decided to sell off the guns that are duplicates, less interesting and the more expensive guns that I don't get the "bang for my buck" out of. I'd suggest selling a few and see how you feel about them afterwards. That's what I'm doing right now and the ones I'm not sure about go back in the safe. So far, so good.

So I don't think your crazy, I'd start selling one or two and see how it goes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As we go through life our desires change. I own guns that I never dreamed I’d be able to afford. And I love them all. But lately, I find myself reminiscing about walks through the woods with a Ruger Single Six and a yellow box of Super X .22’s in my pocket. I miss the simpler times. Maybe paring my guns down to the bare necessities is a good idea. Life is short, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Im not a avid collector like others here. But I got thinking about when I was younger and me and my dad had a couple .22 revolvers a marlin 60 a 270 remington and a wing master 12 guage. Those guns got used all the time. Now I have a small collection of oddball guns and I havent been shooting in over a year. Then again we have two c hevelles a el camino and a camaro that rarely gets driven too. Jim

·
Registered
908 Posts
I sold off just about everything that was not collectible a few years ago and kept everything that was.
I'm happy with my collection as it is now and the only thing that I really deviated from is that I now have several Uberti's and Taylor's that represent firearms that I would not be able to shoot even if I did own the originals.
I have several classic cars including prewar era cars and they take a lot more money, time, space and effort in order to maintain.
The guns are a good investment choice and will sell well at auction when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I had planned to retire at 65 unfortunately I sold some guns at that time which I wish I had back. Then the opportunity to keep working became available and I liked what I was doing. Now I am 84, semiretired and I do plan to sell all but my favorite Colts which will still leave me with a good sized collection.

Jim

1 - 20 of 93 Posts