Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening , can one or more of you fine colt collectors assit me on the evolution of Offical Police grips , pre-war , during the war and post war. i am looking a a offiical police and i am unsure of the historical currectness of revoler , pictures would be of great help , many thanks rj

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well rj, it gets a bit more complicated then I am going to describe here, but I can give you the "Readers Digest" version. Others can fill in the gaps with exact dates, pictures and some of the specifics.

If you were to provide most of the S/N of your OP, we can probably tell you quite easily what grips were correct for your vintage gun.

Chronologically from the beginning:

Some of the earliest OP used the left over Fluer de Lis black grips found most commonly on the late Army Special. (We may get some dissent on this statement. I have also observed this grip used on early Officers Models alleged to be original untouched. I wonder if perhaps "parts clean-ups.")

Next used were the checkered wood service grips with the older silver medallion. These were used pretty much through the pre-war guns.

The war time OP (approx. 1947) began using a checkered brown plastic grip with a molded in Rampant Colt logo. They continued to use these grips into the 50’s.

Post war guns returned to the checkered wood grips but then began using a gold medallion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pre WW2 Fitz pistol grips were the after market grips of choice for law Enforcement Officers that wanted to shoot more accurately to earn their monthly shooting pay.

Fitz grips can be identified in unbreakable Duramite or hardwoods by having the initials inside of CV or DB.

You are welcome to contact me for pictures and more information.

------------------
Paul Fitz Jones Retired
Fitz Pistol Grips
Star reloader Reconditioning Center
C-H Saeco Distributor

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm back there was another set post war , made of wood , i have seen 3 of them , one came on a used FHP .357 and were not orginal to the gun , another for sale at a gun show and the third on a early post war OP, these odd grips appear as the 1950's version but the chrome horse resembles the per-war , sorry i donot have a camera for a picture rj

1 - 4 of 4 Posts