Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you know I spend much of my time chasing down Detective Specials and the Model ThreeFiftySeven. I've recently been dabbling with the Pre-War Official Police and wanted to share my latest find. It's a 6" Nickel OP shipped in October of 1940, complete with serial number matching original box and test target. It appears to be unfired since leaving the factory, showing ever so slight residue around 5 of the cylinder chambers. Strange that a fixed sight revolver would have been "targeted" at the factory, but even stranger is that the gun was also special ordered with a 3.5 lb trigger pull. All that work & effort for a revolver that was apparently never used for what it was designed for. It's one of the highest condition Pre-War Colts I've ever had the pleasure of owning and the box is just as nice. Thank you Tom and Doug...

Pics are now posted as of 12/2/17:

IMG_5457.JPG IMG_5458.JPG IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5459.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see others are having trouble posting pics tonight. Me too...

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't edit my post or add any pics. What the ???

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
The forum appears to be fudgy in a variety of ways tonight. It won't let me do a normal "reply with quote".

"...Strange that a fixed sight revolver would have been "targeted" at the factory, but even stranger is that the gun was also special ordered with a 3.5 lb trigger pull. ..."

This may not indicate anything particularly special.

I have a perfectly ordinary patrolman's NYPD Colt PP from 1915 that lettered as "Selected and Targeted" (shipment of 24). And I also have an equally ordinary Allentown PD Colt OP from 1951 that lettered as ordered with a 3.5 lbs trigger pull (shipment of 20).

So I think these may have been services Colt offered quite routinely.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope they get this fixed soon. I still can't edit my thread or post pictures...

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got the pics posted. Thanks Forum IT Guys...

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
That is beautiful! I can see why you veered off course and went for that OP. Like Yogi Berra said, "when you see a fork in the road, take it".

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is a beautiful OP snakeman99. Regarding the targeting, according to Haven & Belden's The History of the Colt Revolver and Other Arms Made By Colt book, in the section entitled "A Trip Through The Hartford Factory", all police orders were targeted. The section goes on to list all of the target models of the day such as the OMT, Shooting Master, PP Target, Camp Perry model and others that were targeted and interestingly enough, also says the OP's in .22 caliber were targeted.
I highly recommend that book, it is available at very reasonable prices, mine is a 1978 Bonanza reprint and I think it was around $30. It's a big, heavy tome and excellent reference for the pre-1940 Colts including prints of all the advertising cuts for the different models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts