Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a handgun fanatic, I don't have much in the way of rifles. I grew up with a 22 slung over my shoulder and do have one 22 cal rifle, but that was it till today.
I saw the new entry level Colt M4 at the GunsAmerica website. (I get an email from them every day with new guns listed just for fun reading.) Well, being a Colt fan I read up on it and figured it was time to dive in. This ships without a rear site, but have ordered a handle/sight for it already.
I bought it at Bud's Gunshop and will receive it in about a week.
I'm pretty sure I'll get one of those battery operated dot type sights eventually after shooting her a bit and seeing what others use, but for now I just need to get a sling.
So you guys that have one of these jewels, what is the best type of sling to carry the rifle while walking in the country? I see one that is a loop that attaches in one spot, then there is a regular sling. Which should I go for and why?
Any other advice is appreciated as well.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Advanced congrats to you with your new Colt Expanse M4 carbine, it is the basic entry level model of Colt AR but it have the most components quality compared to the other competing brands.

Myself I'm waiting for my local dealer to get me a new Expanse carbine, but if I don't get it in another week I might go with another dealer and hopefully not wait too long for it.

I'm a very long time Colt AR owner for about 45 years now, I started with my first Colt AR-15 model Sporter SP1 when I was a teenager and fast forward to now, I've got 4 Colt AR, 3 carbines and one 20" barrel rifle.

When I get my new carbine it would be my 12th Colt AR so far since my first noted Colt Sporter SP1 rifle.

For a good all around two point sling, for long hikes I'm using a padded Viking Tactics VTAC sling, it have quick adjustable for length but when adjusted, it stays in place and doesn't slip, even when running and climbing.

Viking Tactics VTAC two point sling also have a non padded version for guys that don't prefer the padded sling.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/

Here's a picture on one of my carbine, I'm using two heavy duty quick detach sling swivels with my VTAC padded sling in coyote color.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks @AR15-1911 ! Great reply. I appreciate your time. HERE is a shot of the Expanse M4 and do not see any lanyard loops. In looking at your photo, I see one end loops around the barrel. How does yours connect at the stock?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been happy with the 3 point MagPul slings. The come with different styles of attachment points and are quickly adjustable.

Reactions: Ron7624

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Among all the quality (and some not-so-quality) accessories for the AR platform, Magpul is difficult to beat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yup, I'm well aware that I will spend a boatload on accessories, but that's the fun of building your own. Thanks for the link it looks very useful.
Your welcome. I've been dealing with Brownells almost as long as they have been around and have had zero issues or problems with them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
To add to the above:

First consideration is that there are carrying slings and user slings.
A carry sling is usually a simple strap, often with a padded area to make it easier on your shoulder.
You usually see these on civilian hunting rifles.

A "user" sling is a sling that serves a purpose other then just carrying the rifle.
A classic example of a user sling is the Model 1905 leather USGI sling that is both a sling and a shooting aid when you put your arm through a loop and tighten it up so you get a more steady hold.

What slings to look at depends on how you intend to sling the carbine.
If you're going to just sling it over a shoulder any simple strap will work including the cheap but reliable M16 "silent sling" that comes or came with all AR-15's and was military issue since Vietnam.

If you want some sort of tactical carry there are single point, double point, triple point and probably others.
Some require installing a swivel mounting point on the front of the receiver tube. This may require removing the tube nut to install, or buying a clamp-on type, which may prevent the stock from collapsing all the way.

From the looks of the Expanse, it's set up for standard swivels but doesn't come with them.
For the butt you can simply use the slot that's in the stock, or buy a standard sling loop and mounting screw. In the lower part of the butt is a hole for the swivel which is mounted with a big screw.

It appears the front sight base assembly has the mount with holes for a standard front sling swivel. In that case you'd need a standard sling swivel and the small tubular rivet that holds it. The rivet is fixed in place by rolling the end of the tube to retain it and the swivel. You can buy a special punch, a special rolling tool from Brownell's or just use a standard punch to do a slightly more crude job.

Another option for the front that works very well is the GI type side sling mount that attaches to the barrel between the two lugs of the sight base. This wraps around the barrel and locks on with two roll pins in the mount itself.
This is used on most all military carbines and was standard on the Colt commercial sales rifles up to a couple of years ago.
You can buy genuine Colt or a commercial version.
This allows mounting a sling on the side of the carbine for more carry methods.

Fact is, there are dozens and dozens of slings from cheap junk to low cost but excellent to very expensive and good to very expensive gimmicks.
Slings mounts range from easy to install like the stock sling slot and front bottom or side mount, to requiring some real effort, like removing the tube nut, which is best left alone.
First look at some of the carry methods and mounting methods and decide how you're going to carry the carbine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great info @dfariswheel. Muchly appreciated. Although this will be used as a home protector as well as a pleasure plinker, I'm pretty sure one of the multi use tactical straps will be employed.
I love the Colt forum for the wealth of info that I get here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe, but it was put in reach so to speak, and it's a Colt. I won't put tens of thousands of rounds through her, but I will enjoy learning about the AR experience, and feed her enough for me to enjoy her. Remember, I'm a handgun enthusiast and will continue enjoying pistols.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

At the buttstock which is my Vltor model EMOD I'm using a Viking Tactics heavy duty push button quick detach sling swivel, same as the front of the sling.

The Vltor EMOD stock have a quick detachable sling mount hole, some models of other stocks also have them like Magpul, BCM, B5 Systems, LMT, etc.

At the front of the sling you have to have either a Magpul handguard with optional accessory of quick detachable sling mount, or rail system with built-in quick detachable sling mount or in my case I used a rail mounted quick detachable sling mount on the left side of my rail close to the upper receiver.

You need two of these VTAC Viking Tactics (or other brands they are mostly interchangeable and would work with other mixed brands) heavy duty push button quick detachable sling swivels.

Click below to a direct site link:

VTAC Heavy Duty Quick Detach Swivel

Not mine just some actual pictures, see the sling loops under the front sight and bottom of the P&S M4 buttstock.

Most of the Colt Expanse M4 carbine I had seen on the Internet and even videos from the last SHOT Show have sling loops, the front is under the front sight and the rear at the bottom of the buttstock.

If you want to have a quick detachable (QD) sling swivel mount there are parts you could convert your stock and your handguard with the QD mounts or buy new handguards and stocks models with QD mounts.

Thanks @AR15-1911 ! Great reply. I appreciate your time. HERE is a shot of the Expanse M4 and do not see any lanyard loops. In looking at your photo, I see one end loops around the barrel. How does yours connect at the stock?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The exspanse cut corners ,no chrome barrel, magna-flux in lots ,not everyone. Not mil-spec!
What about all that has ANYTHING to do with choosing a sling? Was the sole purpose of your post just to shit on his choice of rifle?

OP: I'm like you, there are so many choices out there I haven't been able to make up my mind either. I'll be interested to see what you choose and what you think of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OP: I'm like you, there are so many choices out there I haven't been able to make up my mind either. I'll be interested to see what you choose and what you think of it.
I will absolutely reply (with pictures) after receiving the rifle and making a decision. I just got a shipping notification from Buds that's UPS ground, so about another week still. Then to order the strap, (or a stock and a strap as needed.) So it may be a couple of weeks, but will follow up for sure.
Again, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply. This forum is great and the folks here always helpful.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Advanced congrats to you with your new Colt Expanse M4 carbine, it is the basic entry level model of Colt AR but it have the most components quality compared to the other competing brands.

Myself I'm waiting for my local dealer to get me a new Expanse carbine, but if I don't get it in another week I might go with another dealer and hopefully not wait too long for it.

I'm a very long time Colt AR owner for about 45 years now, I started with my first Colt AR-15 model Sporter SP1 when I was a teenager and fast forward to now, I've got 4 Colt AR, 3 carbines and one 20" barrel rifle.

When I get my new carbine it would be my 12th Colt AR so far since my first noted Colt Sporter SP1 rifle.

For a good all around two point sling, for long hikes I'm using a padded Viking Tactics VTAC sling, it have quick adjustable for length but when adjusted, it stays in place and doesn't slip, even when running and climbing.

Viking Tactics VTAC two point sling also have a non padded version for guys that don't prefer the padded sling.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/

Here's a picture on one of my carbine, I'm using two heavy duty quick detach sling swivels with my VTAC padded sling in coyote color.
Nevermind..........I see you answered my question already.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I agree with member dfariswheel, you could try the basic two point nylon sling that used to be included before the 2013 production year, just mount it on your existing sling mounts, cheap, quick and easy.

Here's a sample link where to get these basic two point sling with two buckles, there are a lot of sites that sells these, also plenty of other colors to choose from other than the usual black color.

Amazon.com : Classic Two Point AR-15, M16, M4 Sling (Black) : Sports & Outdoors

If you wanted a basic sling but with quick length adjustment, here's my son's LE6920 M4 carbine with Magpul MS1 basic sling, the front of the sling is attached to a Colt military type side barrel sling mount in the middle of the front sight base. The rear of the sling he's using a push button quick detachable sling swivel mount, if you want to use it on your factory M4 waffle stock just use the sling mounting slot (see next picture below).

The Magpul MS1 sling is like the Colt Expanse carbine, it could be upgraded later on with different types of mounting adapters.

Here's my other 6920 M4 carbine with mostly factory configuration several years ago, my Blue Force Gear model Vickers VCAS two point sling at the rear mounted at the M4 stock's slot sling mount, note I removed my bottom sling loop of my buttstock to avoid snagging, the front can't be seen but was mounted on a quick disconnect sling swivel on my left rail (handguard).

My Vickers VCAS two point sling is also a great sling but for a different purpose, it is better if you're shooting more than carrying, because the adjuster doesn't stay in place when you're in the move, it gets slightly loose, it is mainly designed to be loose when firing, then the carbine dropped (to the front or weak/ opposite side) when using your secondary sidearm.

Reactions: Maddmax and Ron7624

·
Registered
156 Posts
WARNING DO NOT LOOK AT ANY OF THE PHOTOS OFFERED ON THIS FORUM! your bank account will suffer greatly if you do.;)
Ron, the slings and attachment points offered should aid you greatly....i use a standard sling on my Colts and am quite satisfied as no combat operations are in my immediate plans. The side attachment came with one of my Colt's and I like it a lot, a friend bought one off epay and it was of much poorer quality...Brownels has Colt unit. Welcome to the world of AR 15 rifles, you picked a winner to start with...then the infection will set in ( I have only twenty five of them)..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts