Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GunBroker had a Colt New Frontier offered, .44 Special, 4 3/4" babbel. The gun was originally shipped as a 7 1/2" barrel model, and was returned to Colt for the shorter barrel. The box, included in the auction, was marked "4 3/4"/7 1/2", and the extra barrel was included.

So, I placed my bid for $1400 Max. I figured since it was a retrofit, $1350 or so might get that gun.

Surprise, surprise! That gun fetched $2350!

For that kind of money, I can get a Ruger Flat Top and have it built to my specs and have a better revolver and money left over!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
507 Posts
Never underestimate the ability of two or more motivated bidders to grossly over pay for something. In this case, the term "motivated" means having more money than good sense. It's happened a lot with me lately.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Colt isn't making NF anymore and its a 44 with two barrels....why would that one go cheap... think about it. I have a NF 3rd gen had the short barrel on it added a 12' barrel ... if i sold it i would include both barrels and expect to get a decent amount of scratch for it ,it had two barrels and no more being made or ever going to be made by Colt again?

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
4.75” NF in 44 special is a rare bird. I had them make me one this year knowing that model is gone for good. They had to make the barrel from scratch. I am sure they did for that gun too. It was never a cataloged item far as I know.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4.75” NF in 44 special is a rare bird. I had them make me one this year knowing that model is gone for good. They had to make the barrel from scratch. I am sure they did for that gun too. It was never a cataloged item far as I know.
There were some 4 3/4" models in .44-40. Suppose that was the source of the barrels?

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Not sure Bob. The 44-40s I have seen were so marked on the side of the barrel. My Special is simply marked 44 on the underside....although they may start off with the same barrel blank. That’s more technical than I am.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Some years ago I sent a Colt NF to Colt to get a shorter barrel on it. It was a 44 special but at the time Colt said they no longer offered 4.75 barrels so I had a 5.5 put on. I ended up selling it in a hardship case and promised myself another if one came along. I finally got one about two years ago, nib when Colt started making them again. At retail too.:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too have a 4 3/4” barrel 44 special that I ordered from the Custom Shop a few years ago. It has the standard barrel marking that the other 2 barrel lengths have. The box is labeled P4750 with 4 3/4” barrel since there is not a model number for that barrel length.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Ruger has a place. They cost less than half the price of a colt. Yet they are more rugged, have adjustable sights. I suppose both vary in accuracy gun to gun. Colt has the "Panache" of collectors.

·
Premium Member
6,452 Posts
It is a shame Colt never offered the New Frontier in .44 Special with a 4 3/4" barrel as a standard production item. It would seem to be close to the perfect packing handgun -- relatively compact with plenty of power. Colt made the New Frontier in .44/40 with a 4 3/4" barrel but not the .44 Special. The logic behind this decision escapes me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts