Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An experimental/prototype Python chambered for the .22 Magnum cartridge sold today in the Amoskeag auction for $37,000 (plus buyer's premium). It had previously sold in the Greg Martin Colt Archive auction in June 2009 for $17,000 (+premium).
Just thought you guys would like to know that.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
626 Posts
It seems that Colt experimented with a number of different caliber changes in their flagship Premium revolver.

Again, none of these caliber experimentations seemed to make it to production as Colt abandoned every iteration caliber in favour of the standard chamberings. Over 500,000 Pythons later, Colt ceased & abandoned production of this iconic revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Pretty darn good return on 17 G's invested in 2009. A whole lot better than having left it in a savings account at the bank. Congrats to whoever it was.

·
Premium Member
19,372 Posts
Based on some prices I have seen on other scarce Pythons, $37K does not sound too bad for this unique Python!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pretty darn good return on 17 G's invested in 2009. A whole lot better than having left it in a savings account at the bank. Congrats to whoever it was.
However, coincidentally enough, it's very close to what the markets have done over that time. If you'd invested $17000 in the S&P 500 in June of 2009, today it would be worth about $40000 (not including dividends). The year 2009 is kind of an anomaly as it was the peak of the recession. The markets started recovering in April of that year, and a few months one way or the other would have had potentially significant effects.

For example, if you'd invested that $17000 in the S&P 500 in April 2009, it would be worth about $60000 today.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I believe there are at least two 22 lr out there, again sleeved for photographic purposes only. I remember one being sold a few years ago for 20k. The magnum would be more desirable of course imo. The discussed python here in 22 magnum was a sleeved, non-firing gun also, correct? As far as I know there’s never been a confirmed factory firing 22 lr python. Several have surfaced claiming to be the real deal, but all turned out to be fakes. Not saying one doesn’t exist but I’ve never saw it or it discussed if so. Most say they simply don’t exist, except for the few sleeved ones.

·
Premium Member
19,372 Posts
The only unusual Pythons that will bring premium prices are usually the ones that Colt made and have records on. I still recall a "Black Mamba" Python with a 3" barrel that a forum member (KMKCOLT) had built using a 3" factory barrel he got from me. The barrel had some pitting/corrosion on the inside, so he had it rebored to .41 caliber along with a cylinder he had. The gun ended up as a beautiful .41 magnum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were several experimental or prototype Pythons sold in the Colt Archive auctions by the Greg Martin auction house in 2009. There were a couple of .38's with experimental serial numbers, a .22 Hornet, a .40 S&W, a .22 LR and two .22 Magnums. All were authenticated with Colt Archive letters. Some were not functioning revolvers (missing parts or modifications to the frames). The .22 Magnum in the Amoskeag auction was originally sold without stocks, but was stocked when sold this time. One of my biggest regrets is not spending a whole lot more money in those auctions! We are unlikely to ever seen sales like those again.

- Buckspen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts