Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that the Colt Sky Marshall was experimental and I assume none left the factory. The blue book lists them as a Lawman. I can see how parts could be available for the gun that was never built but I'm not certain a actual gun exists. I read that the conversion was done on a Trooper. What parts are needed to convert to a Sky Marshall? I've read somewhere it was a quick and easy cylinder swap from a standard cylinder to a Sky Marshall cylinder. Does anyone have information on the Sky Marshall?
Any build numbers?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
It's been a while, but I have seen at least two Sky Marshall's for sale.

It was a Lawman base, not a Trooper.
As I recall, it was actually a Lawman Mark V.

I seem to remember it having a plastic cylinder???? that was intended to be quickly replaced with another, and couldn't be loaded with standard ammo of any sort to preclude it being used by hijackers.

There were enough differences that I don't think a standard factory Lawman could be built as a Sky Marshall, BUT....I simply don't remember enough about it to make any definite statements.

I also "seem to remember"???? a S&W Sky Marshall.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
They were Lawman Mark III 2 inch barreled guns and had a strange looking plastic cylinder with metal inserts. The Sky Marshall guns were built during the willy nilly government rush to "do something" about skyjacking back in the 70's, and the Mark V guns didn't appear until the mid 80's. The plastic cylinder was designed similar to an old muzzle loading revolver and did not use any cartridge case. The cylinders were preloaded by adding powder and seating the bullet from the front of the cylinder. A standard boxer primer was seated in the rear primer pocket and the cylinder was ready to go. I never knew the exact details of a cylinder change, but assume the gun was modified to swap cylinders in a timely manner, but I doubt if it was anything one could call a "speed loader".
Colt even devised tools to reload the cylinders, but since these guns never caught on, any that exist would probably be a pricey collector item. The empty cylinders appear on flea-bay, occasionally, and have sold in the 30-50 dollar range. The guns themselves are very scarce.
In my opinion, the entire program was a solution to a nonexistant problem that eventually went away when "they" finally realized a bullet hole in the skin of an aircraft, would not cause all the passengers to be sucked through it into the stratosphere, like it does in hollywood.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
But, but, but,.....You mean 300 pound Auric Goldfinger couldn't be sucked through a 1 foot square aircraft window after it was hit by a .38 Special bullet?????

I'm devastated. One of my grand illusions has been crushed.

Like the man said, this was an answer to a question no one asked.
Other than the gun not being usable with standard ammo there doesn't seem to be much these guns had to offer over standard pistols.

I guess they forgot that the Marshall would be carrying spare cylinders.

These people only make about $100 grand a year to figure this stuff out.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Let's see.........I could say something about them being available in blue only, obviously making them only a "blue sky" gun. Or.......something about them having their heads in the clouds. But I won't.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
As it turns out, that would be the listing that prompted this topic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, The auction ended at $9.99

I didn't watch the auction close enough. I was going to take it to $20 just wanting to read what the paper had to say. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ QUOTE ]
????????.........Addicted from Kansas started this thread. Dual identity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Split personality /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts