Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted here in awhile but my search for a nice Python for someone I care about has continued. I found this "Shooter" Python, ARMSLIST - For Sale: Colt Python 357 Magnum 6 inch Bright Nickel which is what any Python I buy will end up as. I've been warmly informed by some experts I couldn't afford to pay since I have been here and would appreciate any thoughts any of you would want to share with me about this revolver. I know it is a shooter, I get that, it will be shot I promise. The refinishing worries me but I don't know why, I guess because it isn't original, but not sure that bothers me. It looks nice to me. I would sincerely appreciate any bit of info or wit any of you would have to share with me. I would, of course, ask for more/better pics and a better description somehow (prior use, anything else I could think of before buying, etc). Thanks for the great resource! Have a great day, Sarah Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Can't see a great deal of detail from the pic, but looks good from here.
I applaud the seller for being honest and if it looks as good in person as what I see, think it is a great buy for the money, even if the grips aren't original.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Sarah, at $1400 it may be a decent shooter, BUT; refinished, non-original stocks; I would, personally, pass. I'd hold off until I found an original Python that would make a Colt collector proud. Why go halfway?

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
There seems to be threads on this forum about Armslist scams on a daily basis. Although the seller seems to honest about the description, unless you can see the gun in person, you may want to tread lightly....just a thought.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I only do the face to face deals when it comes to armslist and I have got some good deals, but armslist is notorius for python scams. I dont think the money is to out of line if the person who will get this wants one to shoot. That has got to be the asking price, I have said firm on the price till the hundred bill start to get to me. Always offer less.:cool:

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you're looking for a "shooter grade" Python, then the price is not too far out of line. But, remember, you'll be buying a shooter, and it won't ever become a collector gun (well, maybe in a hundred years). Before you consider buying, though, you should see the gun in person, or at the very least a number of detailed photos. Find out, if possible, who did the refinish. I agree with the opinions on the stocks; they look very much altered.

The buyer is the determiner of the value. If you think it's a good value, then go for it. But caveat emptor!!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Saw the pm before the thread.
You can see there are purist collectors here, and then there are practical folks who are not in the high end.
You might not even see a beat up one at that price.
And be aware of the various flim-flams that show up from time to time.
E.g., don't forward any money. Go FTF if practical.
If you cannot go FTF, the press for more information.
Like where the thing can be inspected. Who is the shipping FFL. Ph.# that works. A way to ID the seller...things like that.
Anything seems hokey or has a smell to it, tell 'em to shove off & head on down the road. There are other Pythons.
pm if you like.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Beware of Armslist as it's a hotbed of scams. Unless a face to face inspection is possible, pass. Collector value on a refinished gun is next to nil and unless you don't care but simply want a nice shooter Python then this example is about top retail for a refinish with sanded/incorrect stocks. If it were my choice, I'd walk away. Please be aware there are two to three times the fake packaging on Pythons then this time last year. Unless you know what you're looking at, it's easy to fall for a reproduction packaged Colt. Your best bet is gun stores, gun shows or pawn shops where you can inspect the gun and haggle the price. GB has gone nuts on Python pricing and too many fakes floating around. My .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I found this New Mexico listing by doing a google image search, I have found many guns on armslist that were scams, being offered at diffent places and different prices, with the exact same descriptions. It's very helpful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I asked that you all save me from myself and sure enough, you've done it. Isn't this a great site? And aren't you all great members and friends. After Bearcat6 posted, I too found that there are several listings on this particular gun all over the country. The good guys win this one time, with a little help from you all, thank you so much. Sarah P.S. The search continues, hide your Pythons!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.