Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see the attached pictures and advice if the first Vent on the rib is normal or if any modification was done. Also how can I restore it to factory. Any information on this will be helpful. I could not find anything similar to this looking at pictures on google. Thanks in advance.
Material property Revolver Shotgun Gun barrel Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Muffler

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
It appears that the barrel wasn't properly located when they first started to cut the slot or the slot cutter wasn't in the proper position.I don't know that it can be repaired to look any better than it does.It would require welding up the affected area remachined and refinished.Not knowing if the barrel is SS or nickel I would not venture to say that the finished product would be any less noticeable.I have been in the metalworking industry for 40 years and I'm not sure that the finished product would be worth the expense or effort.Someone else might have a better feel for it than I do.Just my take on what I see.D*

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I failed to welcome you to our family of masters and misfits.I would suggest that you contact Frank Glenn at glenncustom.com he does repair work and might be able to help you with this problem.feralmerril +1 D*

·
Registered
620 Posts
The best way to fix that is to put a new barrel on it. If its stainless you might be able to weld it and machine and polish it. I bet a new barrel would be cheaper.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It looks like someone tried to install scope mounts to your gun.
I beg to differ, it is a machining/manufacturing flaw as noted above. It is a nickel finish piece, the uniformity and fact that it is under the plating means the errant mill cut was there before it left the factory. I don't think it affects the value and isn't that noticeable and surely won't affect the accuracy when shooting. Think you'd do more damage trying to have it rebarreled than just living with it the way it stands.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would leave it as is. A few gun shows ago, a dealer picked up a 2" Python that only had one side of the vent milled out. He was proud as a peacock showing off the factory "blem" to everyone. Maybe to some it is like finding a double stamped coin in their change jar! Nice snake!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It looks like someone tried to install scope mounts to your gun.
I thought that might be a possibility also, but it is located right under the front sight. It wouldn't make sense to install a scope mount where the front sight goes on a 6" barrel. I could be completely wrong, but I think as noted above, it's a factory miscue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I beg to differ, it is a machining/manufacturing flaw as noted above. It is a nickel finish piece, the uniformity and fact that it is under the plating means the errant mill cut was there before it left the factory. I don't think it affects the value and isn't that noticeable and surely won't affect the accuracy when shooting. Think you'd do more damage trying to have it rebarreled than just living with it the way it stands.
As gunbroke has identified it is a chrome piece and the deformity is uniform with circular lines showing at the area compared to smooth finish. Since another member said that he saw similar case on another piece I will consider it as factory QC Issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your valuable posts. I have been looking for answers from a long time. I will keep the gun as it is as some of you suggested.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It must have been a Friday Gun. It has character, I do not think it detracts from the gun. Maybe if it was sold as nib, but definitely not if it is a good shooter. Nice revolver sir.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You have to remember that these guns were production run guns not a custom gun. They were made as tools. It's not something I would worry about. It is factory and if you don't think it is well ask yourself why would anyone even do that and then refinish the gun for what reason? I'm sure if it bothers you that much sell it and get another. I personally don't mind it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have to remember that these guns were production run guns not a custom gun. They were made as tools. It's not something I would worry about. It is factory and if you don't think it is well ask yourself why would anyone even do that and then refinish the gun for what reason? I'm sure if it bothers you that much sell it and get another. I personally don't mind it.
KMKCOLT I do believe it is from the factory since the gun has not been refinished and the nickel finish does show its age. It does not bother me now but before I read the posts for this thread I was under the impression that the colt factory would not pass something like this for sale. I will post more pictures soon and ask for opinions on the condition of the gun. Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts