Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,What brand extra magazines do you recommend for 1911? Looking for some, and want to get it right.Thank you in advance

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Some years ago, maybe 6, I attended an estate sale that was set up by one of those companies that sets and stages stuff up and "values" the items. When in doubt of value or misc items they put long tables in garages or barns and lay these items out so folks can rummage through them. I scored a number of stainless .45 Colt marked magazines for 2.50 each made by Metalform (M marked) and 2 complete Brownell gunsmith bit sets in the brown hinged plastic case with bit driver for $5 each. Didn't own a Colt 1911 at the time but did have a Norinco "Model of the 1911A1" and those mags performed flawlessly. Fast forward to today where I own a couple Colts in SS and those mags are back ups for my factory originals. Long story for a simple question but Metalform magazines work without issue.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Colt / CheckMate "C"
Colt / Metalform "M"
CheckMate
Metalform
Mecgar mags are pretty nice ours are 10mm

Every one seems to have a varying opinion on magazines.

The Colt "G" marked magazines are not Colt OEM, and are counterfeit.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,438 Posts
It's hard to beat Colt factory magazines.
Personally, I always bought the original seven round mags, not the eight round, simply because there never seemed to be any issue with the sevens.

Lots of other companies make all kinds of "enhanced" magazines with all sorts of features like removable floor plates and bump pads on the bottom, but the Colt factory still seem to give less trouble than any others.
The price of genuine Colt mags is also good, especially if you shop around.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
The best magazines I've had were genuine USGI magazines. I've used them for 40 years, they stayed loaded for many years, and the last time I used them they worked just fine.

There has been many threads on m1911.org about magazines and it seems that there is always pro and cons about every make.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's hard to beat Colt factory magazines.
Personally, I always bought the original seven round mags, not the eight round, simply because there never seemed to be any issue with the sevens.

Lots of other companies make all kinds of "enhanced" magazines with all sorts of features like removable floor plates and bump pads on the bottom, but the Colt factory still seem to give less trouble than any others.
The price of genuine Colt mags is also good, especially if you shop around.
I agree with sticking to factory mags. I add to the one I have when I find factory ones for my Huntsman and commander. Also stick with factory mags for my Sig and Ruger.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
All my mags are Metalform. Flawless performance all day every day.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have been totally satisifed with original USGI magazines, some of which are older than I am, as well as Colt factory magazines. I was told by the proprietor of Cylinder and Slide, who knows a lot more about Govt models than I do, that factory magazines were as good or better than any premium aftermarket magazine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
In my experience the only magazines I never had a problem with are the Wilson Combat and Brownells mags. I have had issues with Chips, Pachmayr, Colt's and a few problems with Metalform who makes mags for Colt. Brownells now makes an excellent magazine (part # 078-000-027 ((7 rd)) phone number 800 741 0015) which in addition to the Wilson is what I carry with. I just do not use any 8 round mags because I want them to seat flush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.