Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off , I'm thinking this has been asked before . This frame is off a Bisley made in 1906 , refinished for sure . Before I get all the parts working and put together as a back yard shooter it would nice to know what these extra numbers are for IMG_0348.jpg .

Thanks guys ,

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Assembly number should also be on the rear of the main frame as well... down the left edge if memory serves.
Many people don’t know about assembly numbers versus serials. When I purchased my 1903 Bisley ..back several years ago, the shop’s gunsmith told me the loading gate had been replaced because the number did not match the last digits of the serial...
I was fresh to the forum and the knowledge base here quickly had me checking the assembly number, which it did match.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the loading gate is numbered 966 or 669 , no other numbers on the back of the frame. I new this one was worked over before the purchase but the bore and cylinder give me hope. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
19,127 Posts
Some guy, Don't give up on the loading gate being original on your Bisley. What has been identified as an assembly number on the frame, under the trigger guard may be a re-work number that Colt applied to the gun when some previous owner returned it to Colt in the past.
The position of assembly numbers on 99% of the SAA's I have seen are not configured in the vertical fashion I see on your Bisley.

It is possible that Colt polished off the original assembly numbers when the gun was returned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some guy, Don't give up on the loading gate being original on your Bisley. What has been identified as an assembly number on the frame, under the trigger guard may be a re-work number that Colt applied to the gun when some previous owner returned it to Colt in the past.
The position of assembly numbers on 99% of the SAA's I have seen are not configured in the vertical fashion I see on your Bisley.

It is possible that Colt polished off the original assembly numbers when the gun was returned.
Nice of you to give encouragement. I wouldn't be surprised that this one was sent back at some time . An owner in the past went through the expense of a newer finish with gold wash in the right places they liked. I have to think the newer finish was done outside the plant , very heavy buffing before plated . All in all , I'm getting a pretty good amount of quality time with this one. I highly recommend to all , Buy one that needs a little help getting back on the road , good sport.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts