Colt Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,059 Posts

No doubt in my mind the gun has gold washed flutes, that have obviously been cleaned to the point the majority of the wash is gone. The scratch through the gold wash is obvious in this photo. Even the gold inlay on the upper right V is getting faint by the looks of it. But every photo you posted clearly shows gold washed flutes, condition of the finish and the various levels of finish lost. My question now would be who did the gold wash. I'd bet Colt. But that info is not on the Colt letter. I'd ask Paul @ Archives again.

You may not care about the gold wash or silver tarnish but the next owner might. At that level of Colt collecting you can likely bet on the fact the details will matter.

This guns gets more interesting every time you post a good photo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
View attachment 708523
You may not care about the gold wash or silver tarnish but the next owner might. At that level of Colt collecting you can likely bet on the fact the details will matter.
No doubt. I don't think I've lost anything by removing the oil. A little tarnish that will be back in a month or two. The oil had to go. In fact, if I keep it a suspended open air glass case, it would be even shorter (assuming it is not air tight). I'm looking at those online right now.

This picture is the one that caused most of the consternation:

And I can see how it would. This was definitely a trick of the light. It looks like a ton of gold wash in this photo, but not accurate. I can recreate the photo with the gun now with the same towels and under the same light.

As to the gold wash question in general, I'm with you, but it takes just the right view to see that. I took a bunch of pictures to got those I posted. Most of them were "nope, can't see it . . . nope, can't see it . . .nope, can't see it."

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
As I said prior, "what you don't know, you don't know". I have looked at hundreds of engraved Colts, photographed dozens. I know the tricks or light and background. Others here have likely looked at thousands.

Like engraving....some see what other's don't. Others yet may actually know what they are actually looking at.

Distinct difference in 40 years of silver tarnish and a year of silver tarnish, a recently cleaned gun and a dirty one.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You have indicated you are not interested in selling it. Then let it tarnish on its own naturally. How much evidence of cleaning will be obvious in 50 years is unknown but it should have more of the look you desire by then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Distinct difference in 40 years of silver tarnish and a year of silver tarnish, a recently cleaned gun and a dirty one.
Yeah, I should have been more clear on my comments. I was talking about the appearance of gold wash, not the entire gun. In that particular photo, it looks like it has very obvious gold wash and the gun does not and did not have obvious gold wash that was stripped off by removing the oil on the gun with a cotton rag. I have photos from before the oil was removed that don't show gold wash and this one that shows a lot of yellow captured in the flute. Im not saying it is not there, I agree with you and think it might be, but it is really subtle and requires the right angle to see and that has not changed. I have had this gun for a while and examined it many times before, and never noticed this as I surely would have if the photo in question was capturing what is truly there. You said it is obvious from the recent photos that the flutes were gold washed and that is the interesting thing. I can send you some photos that would not lead the viewer to that conclusion. I will go take some pictures right now that do not show much if any gold wash in any of the flutes from a different angle and post so you can see what I am talking about. Be back in 30 minutes. . . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
No need for my benefit. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with your gun!
Thank you and I don't mind. If people are interested I will keep posting. I have nothing to do tonight, so why not! Ok, here are 6 new photos of each flute this time from the top down angle. I have to admit I was expecting it to be more absent, but I think it is still worth looking at and obviously I am now really looking for the gold, so I just don't know. My guess is that If I had sent these 6 instead of the 6 I sent earlier today, the confidence in gold wash would not be as high, but I might be wrong. Let me know what you think. It is a weird thing. Silver is not gold and not close, but the more I look at the gun now, I see a hint of gold everywhere, lol. Enough to make me think that maybe under indoor light silver has a slight hint of gold. Anyway, I probably need some sleep and should stop looking at it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
This thread is starting to make my head spin. Talk about splitting hairs.
Lol, I just went into the kitchen and my wife asked "are you still doing gun stuff". I almost said, "yeah, I'm about to do some google searches on the properties of how photons reflect and refract off of complex concave precious metal surfaces" (because I want to know why it looks different at different angles). But, I thought better of it and said "no, lets watch some Netflix." So I will go do that for a while. . . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I notice that all your pictures show the right side of your gun. May be next time you could add just one photo of the left side ? simple curiosity. Thanks !
Lol, yeah I guess thats true. Here are a couple I took for the Colt archive folks but never posted here. Also, if there is any other area anyone is interested, let me know and I can take a picture of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Photographs of the backstrap desired. Showing the curvature area plus the base with serial number. Thank you.
I just finished taking some more pictures of areas not posted here yet that I think cover what you are asking. Let me know if this covers it or not and I can do it again later. Sorry about the yellowish hue from inside photos it is very humid outside and I don't want to take pictures out back. The whole gun looks gold to me now after yesterday, lol. In the first photo, I was thinking how cool it would have been if Glahn had taken that big "V" and done it in gold as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I have a question. What is the stamped marking on the gate? I never noticed it before. Looks like "392". Blow up below. Is that a part number, or should that match part of my serial # (because it does not)?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's the assembly number and would not match the serial number unless coincidentally the last 3 digits of the serial number. Were you to remove the trigger guard (don't do it) you would see the same number on the base of the frame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
It's the assembly number and would not match the serial number unless coincidentally the last 3 digits of the serial number. Were you to remove the trigger guard (don't do it) you would see the same number on the base of the frame.
Gotcha, thanks.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts