Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Selling off some of my antique collection to fund my automotive hobby and therefore we have here for sale my 100% original and all matching 1860 US issued .44 Army pistol.

Serial number # 31,372 made early 1863 has an early 4 screw and is all serial number matching incl the frame, barrel, cylinder, arbor, wedge, and grip strap. Grips have never been off the gun in the 10+ yrs I've owned it but are no doubt original by their fit. Left grip only is cartouched "PB" for Pomeroy Booth and this is absolutely correct for the #31,000 serial range per Pate's book on the 1860 Army (reference page 162). Grips are splendid in both condition and fit.

All factory marking are very pronounced and present. Pistol shows absolutely no sign of being buffed. Case colors have silvered on the frame but there is a trace of color remaining at the top and base of the hammer. The barrel address is excellent and the usually worn away "Engaged 16 May" roll script on the front edge of the cylinder is very pronounced as well as the cylinder scene itself. The cylinder does have several small spots of what I believe are blood pitting on it as well. I've had a few old timers look at it over the years and everyone has reached the same conclusion as me in calling it blood pitting. While its very minor and present on the cylinder only it certainly does add some mystery and intrigue to a genuine US issued Civil War pistol that undoubtedly served in that conflict.

Military inspector letters are present in several locations and overall mechanics are fine. Half cock notch is present and it goes into battery when the hammer is pulled all the way back. Included is an unmarked very early military style flap holster that came with the pistol when I bought it. Its no doubt period correct and has seen much use. The original bottom plug is intact and most importantly all the stitching is 100% original as well. It has a few tears with the belt loop being the most pronounced but its all original. It certainly does belong with the pistol.

Overall its an early Civil War all matching US issued 1860 Army thats head and shoulders above most of the junk I see selling for not much less.

$2450 shipped insured to lower 48. USPS money order as well as personal checks are ok as long as you don't mind waiting until it clears.

1st "I'll take it" here followed by a PM will own it.

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed, what are you restoring ?
Hey Cliff,

1973 Camaro RS

This one didn't need a full restoration and most of the big stuff that was needed (drivetrain, suspension, brakes) was done by me back about 8 yrs ago. Put over 6000 miles on her before killing the Muncie 4 speed a while back. TKO600 5 speed and Vintage Air a/c are in the works for the Camaro. Its been sitting since the Muncie died while I finish up a restomod project on my '69 vette and like most vette's they tend to leave you cash poor :).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE

I've had a few inquiries via PM and will try to address them here

1st - the screws are all original and are NOT replacements. Most Civil War issued pistols of this vintage exhibit buggered up screws. This one does not and that's one of the reasons I purchased it from a dealer 10+ yrs ago. Take a look at the upper grip strap screws in the 2nd pic from the top. The heads have been protected being recessed into the strap and they still show some original blue. Same pic clearly shows the military inspector mark "L" on the upper grip strap.

2nd. - the cylinder nipples are also original. Pic # 6 from the top clearly shows all cylinder nipples to be in condition relative to the age of the pistol. I've had about 2 dozen Civil War pistols over the years and I'd bet money these are original to the pistol. I don't know if they are rusted in place, I cant imagine why they would be given the overall condition of the pistol and the lack of rust but in all honesty I've never tried to remove the nipples nor would I recommend doing so as it will be apparent after removing them that they have been messed with.

3rd. - Ive never shot it nor have I ever shot any of my collector pistols of this vintage. I'm not like the fat bald guy on Pawn Stars and personally don't see the logic in shooting a 150 yr old pistol.

4th. - the bore is incredibly hard to photo but I can assure you it is much better than average and it matches the condition of the pistol overall.

5th. - the cylinder has a few dings on it in addition to the blood pitting I mentioned above. One ding is across the last two numbers on the cylinder. The cylinder is stamped 1372 for the last 4 digits of the serial number and the ding is between the 7 and 2. The number font on the cylinder matches the rest of the serial numbers perfectly. For example, compare the 7's and 2's throughout all locations and you will see a perfect match. Pic below shows the ding and also note in the pics above how strong the "Colts Patent" and "Engaged May 16" roll scrip is on the cylinder.

$2350 shipped lower 48 for a very righteous 1860 Army Colt, I've dropped price as I'd really like to sell it here vs dealing with GB

Thanks, Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts