Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I keep my eyes on the auction sites because every few months something nice will still surface. Picked this one up a week ago and had an overtime slug out with 2 more guys to get it but I didn't get knocked out even though I did get knocked around. :D

41 caliber with 4-1/2" barrel factory engraved, nickel finish, gold plated cylinder, stocks unlisted 2 gun shipment to E. C. Meacham in St. Louis, Missouri in 1888.

My eyes have played tricks on me before, but the finish looked fully original to me and I had a couple of advanced fellow collectors look at it and they gave it the A-ok also.

Tickled pink to have gotten a nice one!

It came out of eastern Tennesse from the estate of a 4 star general. The guy selling it was tickled pink because he had no earthly idea that it was correct and certainly no idea what the value of it was.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Wow!! Good for you coltsixguns, that's an excellent find.

I'm not 100% on this but that looks an awful lot like L. D. Nimschke's engraving. Although 1888 is possibly a little too late for his own work, perhaps a student of his?

Can anyone else speak to who might be the the engraver for this fine looking Colt?

Once again, good job my friend, an a very nice addition to any collection.

Bud

I keep my eyes on the auction sites because every few months something nice will still surface. Picked this one up a week ago and had an overtime slug out with 2 more guys to get it but I didn't get knocked out even though I did get knocked around. :D

41 caliber with 4-1/2" barrel factory engraved, nickel finish, gold plated cylinder, stocks unlisted 2 gun shipment to E. C. Meacham in St. Louis, Missouri in 1888.

My eyes have played tricks on me before, but the finish looked fully original to me and I had a couple of advanced fellow collectors look at it and they gave it the A-ok also.

Tickled pink to have gotten a nice one!

View attachment 40088

View attachment 40089

View attachment 40090

View attachment 40087

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a classic Cuno Helfricht pattern of engraving. I've been told that he traced out the designs on the guns and then either he or another workman would finish the cutting. Most of the time he was busy doing the most extravagant work and where the engraving on mine is better than some I've seen it's not full blown crazy like some I've seen.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Wow!! What a beauty. Some battles are definitely worth fighting. :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just as a point of interest, I believe Sutherland's Book of Colt Firearms states a total of 475 .41 caliber 1877's were factory engraved, and he gives 250 as the total engraved 1877's in .38 caliber. Congrats on a beautiful Colt!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts