Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt mark the frame when they did a factory re-blue or when a gun was returned for some other service? I have a Police Positive special 6" bbl(38spl) pre-war # 3763xx and the condition is superb but for an excellent deep re-blue. I'm wondering if it is factory work since it is such an excellent job. Thanks for any information you share.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
IN SO FAR AS I KNOW, (note the qualifier), Colt did not mark guns that were factory re-blued or repaired.

I'm sure they did record the serial number and the work done, but how long they keep that info, I don't know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Big: Quoting from John Brunner's "Colt Pocket Hammerless Pistols" at page 53, "The letter'K' on the upper right trigger guard bow means the pistol was returned to the factory for repair. The ampersand (&) on the trigger guard also means factory repair but the same mark of the inside of the pistol is merely an armorer's mark." I have personally seen an ampersand marking on the trigger guard of a beautifully refinished and rebarreled Colt M1917 which appeared to be a factory job. HTH. Charlie Flick

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Good info.

"As far as I know".... I've never seen any kind of marks added to a factory re-blue or repair on POST-1950's Colt pistols.

It's interesting that Colt marked pre-war pocket guns and the 1917. This would lead me to suspect they marked all guns in those days.
I would further assume they quit when the war started, and never continued it after the war.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 3rd gen. SAA that has what looks like a small case h stamped on the trigger guard. I also have a New Frontier with a Z stamped on the upper right side of the trigger guard. There must be some reason to stamp many of their guns with different letters.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
On Colt handguns, (at least post-war) the LEFT side of the trigger guard area has the stylized "VP" or Verified Proof mark at the front, and a single letter inspector's mark at the rear. I've seen many different inspector's marks, including on some of my current Colt's H,Z,V,and D.

Of all the guns I've sent in to Colt for repair or refinishing, I've never found any marks that weren't there before the work was done. (Trust me, I always looked that close when they were returned).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Colt re-blue?? I have a beautiful nickled Colt Police Positive Special, 32.20 cal. The gun was manufactured in 1912. The last patent date on the barrel is 1926. The right rear trigger guard bow does have the & mark and under the left grip as well as the front of the cylinder, the numbers 1266 N

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Steve,
Very odd, PPS mfg. 1912 with a 1926 patent barrel, guess it's a re-barrel ?. IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve H. Bunch:
Colt re-blue?? I have a beautiful nickled Colt Police Positive Special, 32.20 cal. The gun was manufactured in 1912. The last patent date on the barrel is 1926. The right rear trigger guard bow does have the & mark and under the left grip as well as the front of the cylinder, the numbers 1266 N<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
Years ago, as a young(er) Colt collector, I acquired a .22 Official Police that looked like new. When I showed it to an old(er) Colt collector, he immediately turned it over, opened the cylinder and pointed out to me a mark on the very back of the barrel where it meets the frame, which he said indicated a factory refinish. I do not recall the mark, but I think it was a letter and was very small. It was hidden by the ejector rod when the cylinder was closed.

I am acquainted with the other factory work marks mentioned, but have never seen reference to the mark on the barrel that was on that long-gone OP .22. Anyone else have any information about this supposed "factory refinish" mark on the bottom back of the barrel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts