Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked frame, under the trigger guard, for a "work order number" as advised by Bob Best. I found only three numbers, a 5 to the left of the forward screw hole and 02 to the right of hole.
As the numbers appear to be in the same type as the serial numbers I suspect that this is a part number, but I don't know for sure. It could also be a date of May 2nd ( 5 02 )
Does anyone know for sure what these numbers represent ?? I really wish it was a work order number but I am pretty sure it is not. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
JoeWill; IF Colt had rebuilt it at the Factory(and/or refinish)it would have an amperstand ot the dates you are looking for. Keep in mind,that the SAA seemed to be dying out by the 20's(look at production figures for the last 2 decades 'til 1940). They could be bought very cheaply right after the war,and many were "converted" to the 2 most popular calibers that Colt made parts for in the 47-55 period. Then,in the early 50's,T.V. "Westerns" were all the arge,and the SAA's were in demand,and prices climbed. Enter Bill Ruger,with his Single Six,(1953)and Bill Wilson,Audie Murphy,and Hy Hunter with the Great Western SAA clone in late 1954,and Colt couldn't resist producing the SAAs,2nd gen. in 1956. And the rest,as they say,is history,active to this day,"history".

Chances are your gun was rebuilt by a fine Gunsmith,using the older frame and new parts. Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts