Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i see there is a python i might be able to get. it is a 1978 in blue and has a fair amount of scratches, it has that ring around the cylinder. i'm probably going to be able to get it for like 900 is that a fair price or should i walk? was 1978 a good year or is that around the time quality of production dropped...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like i have to pay 1000 he was gonna come down on price but said their where three other interested im still gonna get it i really want a revolver to add to the collection. plus whats another hundred ill consider it sales tax haha

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it is in good mechanical shape go to the bank and get 10 $100 bills and run, call him, do whatever you can to be first at the door. $1000 is not bad at all from the way you describe it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yesterday!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Take fistfull of dollars.1K should do nicely.
Run, don't walk down to the guy's place.
Buy revolver.
Live happily ever after.
Brag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I bought the pistol it came with carrying case, holster, 2 python speed loaders, and two sets of grips (hogie and stock) I went threw hell to get this revolver including 4 hours of dust storms, heavy rain, lots of accidents, and intense winds while driving. It was well worth it, man does this thing have a nice trigger pull and smooth hammer (a lot less scratches then i thought it was, it actually looks good not a ton of wear). i will post pics tomorrow after i take it to the range.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Those stocks look like the later version of the "Type II"; which would've come on a bit earlier gun than a 1978. What's the serial number? It's possible the gun is older than what you think, or that it simply has the wrong stocks on it. If it does come out to be a 1978 you can easily trade your older stocks for the "correct" Type III but I personally prefer the II's that are on it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You did well - congrats on your new Python! Well worth the dust storms, heavy rain, accidents, and intense winds! 😎 What a man will do for a Colt Python ... Beautiful piece for the price. 🔫🔫

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can call Colt, give them the serial number and they should be able to tell you when it was made. If it is a 1978 model the checkering should be a straight line under the medallion (third generation). Both of my 1978 Pythons have the third generation grips. Having the wrong grips can be easily explained. Someone sold the originals when they put other grips on thinking they would not sell the gun. Later when they do sell the gun they just try to get any set of Python grips. Enjoy your Python.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i took it to the range and was disappointed. it shot really nice when it did shoot the problem was it misfired alot. when i manualy cocked it and shot it it was fine. but when i would go try to do 6 without cocking it, it would just go click intead of shooting some rounds i would say at 1 or 2 out of each 6 shots. I was using range ammo called magtech...

really need some responses for this one might just send it back to colt just worried i got a lemon :(

any help would be great thanks guys

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 1976 6" that was doing the same thing in double action mode only. A couple of months ago I sent it to Colt and they gave me an estimate of $90.00 to replace a small part ( not sure what part) and tune it to factory specs and give it a cleaning. I thought that was a good price. Don't have it back yet.
serial number- v25670

i took it to the range and was disappointed. it shot really nice when it did shoot the problem was it misfired alot. when i manualy cocked it and shot it it was fine. but when i would go try to do 6 without cocking it, it would just go click intead of shooting some rounds i would say at 1 or 2 out of each 6 shots. I was using range ammo called magtech...

really need some responses for this one might just send it back to colt just worried i got a lemon :(

any help would be great thanks guys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 1976 6" that was doing the same thing in double action mode only. A couple of months ago I sent it to Colt and they gave me an estimate of $90.00 to replace a small part ( not sure what part) and tune it to factory specs and give it a cleaning. I thought that was a good price. Don't have it back yet.
that does seem like a good price i'll have to give colt mfg a call on monday and see whats up with that. Does anyone know what parts can causes this to happen in double action?

·
Registered
502 Posts
that does seem like a good price i'll have to give colt mfg a call on monday and see whats up with that. Does anyone know what parts can causes this to happen in double action?
Probably just a weak mainspring. In double action the hammer does not travel as far back as it does in single action. Thus, a marginal main spring will show misfires only in double action. You can buy the spring online for less than $20 and try to replace it yourself if confident. However I'd hate to see you scar the finish unnecessarily and a trip to a qualified gunsmith will assure it's done properly. As far as gunsmiths I can recommend Colt, but it will take a very long time. If looking for someone who can do the job in much less time I would suggest Frank Glenn in Phoenix; he knows Colt's well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts