Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where a Python target 38 special in the nickel finish is that I may have the opportunity to buy. I was just wondering what the value of it was. I know there were only 251 of these ever made. This one has been fired but I would rate it 95% or better. The finish on it it still bright and shiny and the grips are in very good conditon with the exception of a small amount of finish that was scratched off of the bottoon of them. Unfortunatey there is not a box with it. Any help help on a value would be appreciated. I just haven't ever seen another one like this. Thanks

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hey JJ,

The Python target is a funny animal. Is it a Python? Yep. Is it in limited supply? Yep. Is it worth a ton? Nope! I don't think the buying public has warmed up to the .38 chambering, everyone wants the mighty .357 magnum. I have seen NIB Nickel Targets sit around for $2500. A used gun without the box I would put in the $1500-$1700 range and I may be a little optimistic. I am basing this off of Gunbroker pricing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I second Keystone on that. I know of a super nice/98% one that has the original matching box and is unfired. It was factory tuned as well as re-sighted by the Colt Custom Shop and has the correct chartreuse custom shop label over the original label. The gun has been offered to me at $2800 and has been sitting in a display case for quite a while. The seller can't keep any other Colt da revolvers in stock but that gun never seems to sell. When I first started collecting, I was aggressive about finding one because of their "rarity". I have since cooled down on them like the rest of the market. If you can pick a NIB one up in the low 2's you should be doing ok and maybe they will run at some point in price.

·
Registered
382 Posts
there is good rare and bad rare, example cars, old corvette with automatic transmission is bad rare. few made and they certainly don't command any kind of premium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts