Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now it seems to some degree that you cannot even trust the Colt letter. A 3" nickel Python popped up on gun broker today New inbox with the Colt archive letter. The problem is that I have that same letter from the gun showing it as a 6 inch blue. I lettered it two years ago when it was on a penny auction so I could authenticated in order to bid. Of course with what the letter said I did not. I contacted the seller and sent him a picture of the genuine letter. He was shocked to say the least as he bought the gun from a person that keeps popping up in discussions about boxes. This letter was really good seal and all. He immediately canceled the auction and I will not link it to protect his identity. I will be contacting the Colt archive department as this is blatant fraud. I just wanted to post this so everyone is on the lookout.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Lumberjack. It was only a matter of time before they started showing up.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
If I were considering the purchase of a high end Python (or any other Colt) and had any question about its originality I would gladly pay the several hundred dollars for the expedited letter from the Archives Dept.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy who owns the gun is in the process of trying to get his money back. I am trying to convince him to send the letter to Colt once the matter is resolved. I don't see how they can ignore this especially with their seal being duplicated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know there are many very good people at Colt, but they are in dire financial straights at the moment, and I seriously doubt they are going to spend money on legal trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I would like to kick vikrant in the cajones.
The bum was registered here last year as Colt Box Man (no longer in members list). I have always called him Fake Box Guy because we're not allowed to curse here. He was banned once before that for threatening members with bodily harm. On Ebay, he's Blovit (read Blowhard). And obviously Oz Chichetti was supplying him with the boxes, though he denied it to me in an email. So although Oz always said his boxes were reproduction, when it comes to Fake Box Guy, he's a liar, too. I showed him some of this crooks auction pictures and he said it wasn't his work. He's full of it.
Oz seems to have stopped selling boxes himself.
I guess Blowhard/Vikrant/Fake Box Guy gives Oz enough business on his own. He's obviously on retainer by now.

I'd like Dennis to come on up here to PA. to meet me and Gunny. I'm sure Gunny would find him fatty, rotten, and full of gristle.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I've been warning about fake Colt Archive letters for some time.

With the skyrocketing prices of Colt pistols, we've seen fake boxes, labels, hang tags, manuals, even the plastic bag the gun was put in at the factory has been faked.
As anything goes up in value, expect counterfeiters and fakers.
This is why I've warned people who are thinking about buying high dollar guns like 3" Python to get your OWN letter from Colt.

The first case of fake letters I know of was the case of a man in California in the 60's who was paying top dollar and then some for Detective Specials made in a certain serial number range.
He was also quietly selling Colt "Fitz" Detective Specials with the factory letter verifying them as genuine Colt factory Fitz guns.
When one buyer lost his letter he applied to Colt for a new one and was astounded when it lettered as a standard Detective Special.

The counterfeiter went to jail for fraud, but no one knows how many of these fake Fitz guns with letters are still floating around out there.
Unfortunately we're now at the point of of fine art work and other expensive items: Trust NO ONE, verify EVERYTHING.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
The guy who owns the gun is in the process of trying to get his money back. I am trying to convince him to send the letter to Colt once the matter is resolved. I don't see how they can ignore this especially with their seal being duplicated.
Lumberjack, thanks for the interesting post. Yes, I saw this listing yesterday and few things appeared unusual (stocks, box label) but not the Colt Letter. This is a good lesson for us all.

Will you learn if the owner is successful in his attempt to get his money back from the person that sold him this bootleg Python?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I said it would be a matter of time before Vikrant would sell the gun with fake everything including phony Colt letters after finding he was on a run to get Pythons on various sites and that he is a FFL.You need to verify everything and only do buisness with those people you KNOW ARE HONEST.......Mike

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to Joe at the archive department today. He is taking this pretty seriously. I am putting him in contact with the offended party. After talking to him again today it appears as refund check is being sent even before the gun goes back.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I talked to Joe at the archive department today. He is taking this pretty seriously. I am putting him in contact with the offended party. After talking to him again today it appears as refund check is being sent even before the gun goes back.
I don't doubt it and I'd bet he really wants that letter (evidence) back!!!!! Trouble is, there goes the proof!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Would Lumberjack or anyone have a problem if photos of the questionable Colt Archives Letter and the Python were posted in this thread. We could then have a record here of the custom built Python, reproduction stocks, fake label and of course the Archives Letter.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
If a few more fake Pythons/letters can be attributed to fake box guy to establish it's no accident, perhaps the Feds will take action for Internet fraud. Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | File a Complaint

1 - 20 of 66 Posts