Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
What do you want to know? Yes it's another fake package.

It stinks to high Heaven.

This is the norm these days.

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know much about the boxes, but I'd hate to get a repro box passed off as original. Even worse are the stainless guns polished at home into "bright/ultimate".

Here's a Good Samaritan option..
Run an auction.. "Python BOX - How to spot a fake" Then give the details in the description for free or cheap. A link to them posted somewhere would work too.

The problem is.. the fakes will get better eventually because it would become the faker's how-to manual. I've seen it happen with vintage guitars. Caveat Emptor I guess.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gee, a red insert on the front sight of a 1978. Therefore it can't be LNIB. If it was correct I wouldn't buy it because of the seller's spelling. ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
That is an ebay label on the box. Don't know about the box itself. The fake label has a soft gold look, the real ones are more metallic gold. I know folks are trying to do the right thing here, but saying "I won't tell what is wrong with the fake item because it will help the fakers", is like if the US Govt said "there are fake $100 bills in your area right now, but we won't tell you what to look for because it will only help the counterfeiters!" No, No, No! The way to stop the fakers is for everyone to know what to look for, spead the word and don't buy their junk!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Is the main concern here w/the fake or repro boxes and accoutrements that they are not genuine Colt or that they are not disclosed as repros at time of sale. I assume the latter because I would hate to throw away a perfectly good, genuine Colt box and paperwork because, say the label had fallen off over the years, and I just wanted to ID the box. If disclosed at time of sale, I don't think it's so wrong.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
No one likes the fake stuff because it pollutes the field of goods. This happened to U.S. M-1 Carbines! So much and so many and such good fakes and reproduction parts came on the market it just ruined the hobby for some and also lowered all values in someways because everything is suspect now. Same thing with cultured pearls, it ruined the value of the real ones back then and now cultured pearls are the norm! Same with baseball cards and on and on. Free exchange of Knowledge, Not keeping Knowledge Secret is the key to freedom from all fake or reproduction items anywhere.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to me certainly the latter, to go further, not just disclosed as repo but declared "original" as to deceive which = fraud

all the comments are good. maybe save one forum brother from plunder. no one is suggesting throw away real stuff. you are correct to say, it is ok to buy reproduction and use it, for whatever reason with responsibility not to deceive.

buying fake to inflate the value is just not right. Even if you say you did not know, which most will, whether you know or not, you are responsible for what you sell.

Buying correct Colt original stuff to put with a gun, to increase its value, great.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
to me certainly the latter, to go further, not just disclosed as repo but declared "original" as to deceive which = fraud

all the comments are good. maybe save one forum brother from plunder. no one is suggesting throw away real stuff. you are correct to say, it is ok to buy reproduction and use it, for whatever reason with responsibility not to deceive.

buying fake to inflate the value is just not right. Even if you say you did not know, which most will, whether you know or not, you are responsible for what you sell.

Buying correct Colt original stuff to put with a gun, to increase its value, great.
Phew!! I almost threw out 10 real Colt boxes and paperwork
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I DID throw out the boxes from my first gun purchases. I toss out old shoe boxes, appliance boxes, etc. also.

I remain astonished at the value people place upon the old Colt and S&W boxes, to the extent that we have fakers and others trying to find period-correct original boxes to match their gun.

IMHO, a "reproduction" (aka fake) box is OK, so long as it is disclosed conspicuously in writing on the box itself. Anything less is asking for fraud in the marketplace involving that box, IMHO.

Fraud litigation is hard to win (thus expensive and risky to conduct), because many parts of the elements of fraud are subjective, and difficult to prove. If the plaintiff does not prove even one element of fraud, no judgement is rendered against the civil defendant. Each element can be hotly litigated.

"A case for common law fraud requires proof of the following elements: (1) a representation or, where there is a duty to disclose, concealment of a fact, (2) which is material to the transaction at hand, (3) made falsely, with knowledge of its falsity, or with such utter disregard and recklessness as to whether it is true or false that knowledge may be inferred, (4) with the intent of misleading another into relying upon it, (5) justifiable reliance upon the representation or concealment and (6) a resulting injury proximately caused by the reliance. Cohen v. Lamko, Inc., 10 Ohio St.3d 167, 169, 462 N.E.2d 407 (1984)." This is Ohio law. Each element is itself complex and commonly difficult to prove.

When a fake box is passed off as a real, original box, fraud is committed IMHO.

What are the damages? How badly were you damaged, in a jury's opinion, because your box is a reproduction? Not enough to economically justify prosecuting a lawsuit. Its just a box. Lawsuits are costly, time-consuming, sometimes annoying endeavors. A class action might make it worth prosecuting a box-seller who commits fraud.

While I am an attorney, I AM NOT YOUR ATTORNEY.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I my opinion people who are selling Colt Guns with the stupid fake boxes are doing themselves a great diservice.That Python is a nice gun even with the incorrect red ramp sight and would sell for good money ON ITS OWN MERIT.When you throw in the fake insert and obviously fake box it annoys the potential knowlegeable buyer and makes it more difficult to sell the gun...JMHO

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Maybe if a bunch of people asked for the price without the fake box, the sellers would quit buying them.
I did just that !! I asked for a price of just the gun and that I wasn't interested in the box and label as they appear to be reproductions and not original Colt items. Now I'll wait for an answer.

Reactions: darrentxs

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The box looks good but the label on the Sold Python looks to have been added. The end of the box is folded over but the label is still straight and of course the writing is not consistent with anything I've ever seen. Couldn't this seller find something soft to put in the trigger guard to protect that Beautiful Royal Blue!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The box looks good but the label on the Sold Python looks to have been added. The end of the box is folded over but the label is still straight and of course the writing is not consistent with anything I've ever seen.
The upper left corner of the box looks to be folded behind the label.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
box might be real but not correct for year. same deal on his other auction. no thumb tab. slap me if i am wrong, i am no expert.

Don't like the label on the sold one either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts